Vikes gird team loses to Monroe but finds identity
By: Ken Weingartner
The South Brunswick High football team lost a game last Friday, but found itself.
Gone are the days of power running with Vince Davidson; these Vikings are going to live through the air.
Mohammed Sanu threw for 200 yards and three touchdowns in South Brunswick’s season-opening 28-20 loss to Monroe in a Greater Middlesex Conference crossover game. Sanu completed 13 of 26 passes and connected with six different receivers, including scoring tosses to Greg McClendon, Mike Clark and Joe Clancy.
Jimmy Mikedes led the Vikings with 89 receiving yards on four catches.
"The biggest thing we talked about before the game was we had to figure out who we are," Vikings coach Mark Prelewicz said. "We found out. We’re not a power running team. We’ve got linemen that can pass block, a quarterback that can throw it, and receivers that can catch. That’s who we are."
Last year, Davidson who graduated gained 2,001 yards rushing. On Friday, the Vikings picked up 38 yards on the ground, led by fullback Clancy. Sanu, though, gives South Brunswick the chance to have a 2,000-yard passer this season. It certainly appears the sophomore will be given the opportunity.
"We knew what he could do; for him to do it that first start was a good sign," Prelewicz said. "I think our line is comfortable pass blocking for him. It’s not a knock on the line that we’re not a power running team; that’s just not who we are.
"It’s going to be pretty exciting the rest of the year. We knew we would probably morph into this team, anyway; it’s just happening a little quicker. We’re going to have a few new things that we’re going to unveil this week that we were hoping to get into later in the year. I’m not going to be an old-school coach and say we have to keep running until we get it right. If that’s not who we are, that’s not who we are."
Sayreville will be the first team to see the Vikings in their new skin. The Bombers were 31-6 winners over North Brunswick last week, getting 159 rushing yards and two touchdowns from Michael Knight.
The game was originally listed at Sayreville on the Vikings’ schedule, but will be played at 7 p.m. tomorrow at South Brunswick.
"Sayreville is Sayreville," Prelewicz said. "We like to get them early on in the year because usually they’re trying to figure out who they are. Midway through the year, they’re usually steam rolling. We’re looking forward to it."
The Vikings could be without Clancy, who suffered a sprained ankle in last week’s game. His potential absence tomorrow would be a blow not only offensively; he’s one of the team’s top defenders from the safety position.
South Brunswick’s defense needed to replace six of its top playmakers from last season, including its two leading tacklers, its top sack man, and its leader in interceptions.
"Our offense will be able to keep pace with people, hopefully," Prelewicz said. "We might have to change some of the light bulbs in the scoreboard."

