Bypass resolutions headed to Trenton

Fed-up committeemen tell state to ‘build the damn road.’

By: Charlie Olsen
   An amendment to a resolution opposing alternatives and delays to the Route 206 bypass sparked an hourlong debate at the Township Committee meeting Tuesday, as officials argued over the wording of the message they wanted to send.
   The resolution opposed the "no build" option in the current round of studies being conducted by the DOT and any changes that would delay the June 2008 construction start date. The resolution also opposed Montgomery Township’s Alternate B Diversion, which would cut the bypass off in Hillsborough and add three traffic lights.
   "New environmental studies could set back the project three to five years which is unacceptable," Mayor Carl Suraci said. "No more excuses; build the road."
   The original five-paragraph amendment, penned by Committeeman Paul Drake, emphasized the township’s stake in the bypass as an integral part of state smart growth plans —and mentioned Hillsborough’s intention to file for state Plan Endorsement of the Master Plan for the Town Center and Transit Village.
   "My recommendation for amendments to the resolution is made in language so Trenton planners would understand why it’s so important," Mr. Drake said. "That’s what the current administration under (Gov.) Jon Corzine needs to hear."
   Mayor Suraci supported the first two paragraphs of the amendment, which expressed the township’s stake in the bypass, but disagreed with the remaining three paragraphs dealing with changes to the design details for cost-savings because he felt the resolution should deal more with "the footprint" of the bypass.
   "I want to hear from the state DOT that the footprint will remain unchanged," Mayor Suraci said.
   Mr. Drake disagreed, citing his experience as planning director at the Office of Smart Growth in the state Department of Community Affairs.
   "They aren’t looking for an investment in a community that’s not serious about smart growth," Mr. Drake said. "I know what they’re talking about because that’s what I do."
   Committeeman Bob Wagner said that he thought the township had already demonstrated initiative with planning, and that he was fed up with "lip service" from Trenton.
   "Build the damn thing already, enough of this talk from Trenton," Mr. Wagner said. "Haven’t they already given us a commitment? They keep waffling back and forth."
   Deputy Mayor Anthony Ferrera echoed his sentiments.
   "If they want to save money, they have two years to figure out how to do it," Deputy Mayor Ferrera said. "I’m fed up with Montgomery and I’m fed up with studies; build the damn road."
   Mr. Drake said that design changes and studies were an integral part of the bypass process, citing the results of the $145,000 Transit Village Design Workshop. Of the 60 people who attended the workshop, not a single one chose the existing interchange design, Mr. Drake said.
   "Most people haven’t seen the design of the interchange; it doesn’t belong in Hillsborough, maybe in California, although I haven’t been there," Mr. Drake said. "The current design does more to divide Hillsborough then it does to bring it together … people are going to say, ‘What happened? Who was asleep at the switch?’"
   Mayor Suraci said that the resolution had three specific goals: leave the existing footprint plan, drop the no-build option, and leave the June 2008 deadline. But Mr. Drake countered that the resolution didn’t even include the word "footprint."
   Mayor Suraci said he was concerned about opening a "crack in the door" for the DOT to move the bypass project start date.
   "We don’t want them to say, ‘Let’s wait for state Plan Endorsement before we start this,’" Mayor Suraci said.
   Mr. Drake disagreed, and said that as former director of plan endorsement, he believed the language was just right, and that the DOT was already looking at alternatives with or without a resolution.
   "I’m a professional planner, I do this everyday," Mr. Drake said. "With this kind of language I assure you it will be on the governor’s desk."
   The amendment, as written, was killed. However, the committee did add the first two paragraphs of the amendment to the resolution. The last three paragraphs of the amendment, which focused on design details and cost-savings that wouldn’t delay the construction, were adopted as a separate resolution. Both resolutions were approved and will be sent to the DOT.