Planners pave way for mall expansion

The board unanimously approved a change to the

1995 Master Plan that nearly doubles the amount of development allowed at the Quaker Bridge Mall.
By: Lea Kahn
   The township Planning Board unanimously approved a change to the 1995 Master Plan Monday night that increases by nearly double the amount of development allowed at the Quaker Bridge Mall.
   The next step is for township planning consultant Philip Caton to prepare an amendment to the township’s Land Use Ordinance to implement the Master Plan. The LUO amendment will be presented to Township Council in December, said Municipal Manager Richard Krawczun.
   The Master Plan change approved this week allows for the floor area ratio (FAR) of the mall to be expanded from .40 to .50. What this means is, with the revision, Simon Property Group, which owns the 1.3 million-square-foot mall, can expand the shopping destination on Route 1 and Quakerbridge Road by up to 875,000 square feet.
   The Indiana-based property owner had indicated to township officials that it would like to expand the mall by up to 650,000 square feet. The .40 FAR would have only allowed an expansion of up to 435,000 square feet.
   Mr. Caton said the proposed expansion fits in with the state’s emphasis on redevelopment. The state is encouraging the redevelopment of existing areas to make the best use of the infrastructure — roads and sewers — already in place, he said.
   When the meeting was opened for public comment, Hopewell Township resident Tim McElroy said he was concerned about the traffic that an expanded mall would generate.
   Mr. Caton said he was uncertain whether any traffic calming measures would be included. Brunswick Pike is controlled by the New Jersey Department of Transportation, and Quakerbridge Road is under control by the Mercer County Department of Transportation. Planning Board Chairman Thomas Wilfrid said township officials will look into the traffic impact on the intersection of Princeton Pike and Province Line Road. Princeton Pike is a county-owned road, but Province Line Road is a municipal road.
   "We will look at the impact on the intersection and have the mall (owners) pay their fair share (of improvements)," Mr. Wilfrid said.
   Mr. Wilfrid referred to Mr. Caton’s Sept. 13 report on the proposed Master Plan amendment, in which the planning consultant wrote that the nonprofit group Sustainable Lawrence supports the use of building technologies "to render new development more energy efficient and ecologically sustainable."
   "We hear you," said Simon Property Group attorney Jonathan Epstein. "The point has been underscored. We will do our best (to address that issue). When we are designing those buildings, I anticipate we will bring our engineer and design team to meet with your professionals to hear about sustainable issues."
   Mr. Epstein said it would be "premature" to discuss the plans now, but his client would be willing to listen to any ideas suggested by the township as plans are being developed. He promised an open dialogue between his client and the township.
   An application and formal site plan likely will be filed early next year, Mr. Epstein said previously. Township Council must approve an amendment to the LUO in order to implement the Master Plan change.
   The Simon Property Group announced in May that Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom, two national upscale retailers, planned to join the lineup at the Quaker Bridge Mall. Neiman Marcus would occupy about 90,000 square feet and Nordstrom about 144,000 square feet.
   A new wing would be built on the eastern side of the mall. Among proposed changes in the mall, the J.C. Penney department store would be relocated in the mall and overall renovations to the mall would be made.