Police investigating possible bias crimes

Smoke bombs were set off on Halloween.

By: John Dunphy
   A pair of incidents on Halloween night where smoke bombs were placed in the doors of two residences have led police to believe them to be bias incidents.
   At 6:35 p.m. Tuesday, the Police Department received a call that two juveniles were lighting smoke bombs on Allwood Drive.
   The youths were described by a witness as being of unknown race or sex, but wearing Halloween clothing — one was dressed as a witch, with a cape and witch’s hat, while the other was wearing a dark shirt, dark, shredded pants, and had an ax located in the center of his or her back.
   A smoke bomb had been placed between the screen door and door of a house, causing a small amount of damage to the screen door, main door and door frame.
   Shortly after, at 7:18 p.m., police received another call, from a resident on Allen Lane, who reported that a smoke bomb was being set off outside of their residence and that smoke had begun seeping into the house.
   The Fire Department and police were dispatched to the scene, where police found another smoke bomb between a door and screen door, damaging the screen, main door and door jamb. The Fire Department cleared the smoke condition.
   No one was injured in either incident, police said.
   The victims on Allwood Drive are black while those on Allen Lane are Asian, which has led police to consider the two events to be bias incidents, said Lt. Thomas Ritter. Police are calling the crimes "very serious" are actively investigating.
   If anyone has any information regarding these incidents, they are urged to call the Lawrence Township Police Department at (609) 896-1111.