Council looks for role in West Windsor redevelopment plan

Officials seek to define responsibilities regarding 350-acre train station project

By: Molly Petrilla
   WEST WINDSOR — Although they’ve been discussing it for several months, Township Council members are still trying to solidify what role they will play in shaping the township’s redevelopment area.
   At their meeting Monday night, council members again attempted to define what responsibilities they and Planning Board members will have in overseeing the 350-acre redevelopment site, which includes the area around the Princeton Junction train station.
   According to Township Attorney Michael Herbert, the debate stems from local redevelopment and housing law, which allows either the Planning Board or the council to guide the township’s redevelopment plan.
   "What (we’re) attempting to do is lay out the respective responsibilities of the administration, the Planning Board and the council so there won’t be any disputes in the future," he said.
   The council has discussed the issue since February, but is now moving toward allowing the Planning Board to work closely with the planning firm that is ultimately selected. Mayor Shing-Fu Hsueh is currently negotiating with the three finalist firms —Hillier Architecture of West Windsor, Street-Works LLC of White Plains, N.Y., and the team of Michael Graves & Associates of Princeton and planning firm Duany Plater-Zyberk of Miami — and will ultimately make a recommendation to the council.
   Monday night, Mr. Herbert handed out copies of an ordinance he had re-drafted, since the one he last proposed was criticized by some council members. The revised ordinance states that the Planning Board would work most closely with the planning firm, though the council would provide oversight at points along the way to ensure that the project is moving in the direction the governing body envisions.
   The ordinance also calls for the formation of an executive steering committee, which would consist of the mayor, Planning Board chairman, council president and council vice president.
   Mr. Herbert said the steering committee would deal with the planning consultant "on a continuous daily basis" as it moves forward in making presentations to the Planning Board.
   At Monday’s meeting, Councilman Charles Morgan, who has previously expressed concern about handing over the project to an appointed — rather than elected — body, called the document "a pretty good draft."
   But he also proposed several wording changes that he said would ensure the council, rather than the Planning Board, would "own" the redevelopment plan.
   Councilman Franc Gambatese, however, said the Planning Board should oversee the planning process. "This redevelopment issue has paralyzed our council," he said.
   Mr. Gambatese added, "We should not be over-involved in this process. Let’s not be the ones who are holding the process down."
   Mr. Herbert said Wednesday he will make several revisions to the ordinance, which will then be re-introduced at a special agenda session Nov. 13.