By: Vic Monaco
HIGHTSTOWN A controversial plan to raze a house from the 1800s on South Main Street and build two new Victorian homes on a subdivided lot there has been rejected by the Planning Board.
The action was taken Monday, the third night of testimony on a plan of owner Paul Talmazon that has had neighbors up in arms since the board hearing began in August. Mr. Talmazon was seeking two variances, the primary one needed because the width of his proposed lots would be about 85 feet instead of the required 100 feet.
Mr. Talmazon’s attorney, Leonard Coates, pointed out that his client had done much to address neighbors’ concerns including changing some architectural plans and saving some of the trees slated to be cut down while offering to plant an additional 20 trees on the property at 565 S. Main St.
But neighbors continued to decry the plan on several grounds including the historic nature of the house and a general opposition to subdivisions in the small town.
"We are the neighbors. … We are the experts," said Gene Sarafin. "We don’t want two unconforming lots."
Ken Hitchner of South Main Street said he couldn’t understand why Mr. Talmazon couldn’t just build an addition to the current house or just tear it down and build one new structure.
"It’s built-out there," he said. "There is no more room."
Joseph Quinn, who previously owned the house, said he had spent about $110,000 to fix it but realized the structure was not worth working on anymore.
"When I hear in the paper about the historical nature of the house, I have to laugh," he added. "I’ll be the first one out there with a sledgehammer to knock it down."
Mr. Talmazon, who did not speak at Monday’s meeting, previously testified that the house is in bad shape.
Mr. Hitchner, a former borough councilman, also criticized the board for "slicing up the town" by approving subdivisions.
"You’ve spent a lot of time on the historic preservation of Stockton Street and that’s a good thing," he said. "Some of us on South Main would like you to spend some time on the preservation of South Main."
His comments seemed to be a reference to the board’s recent controversial approval of two applications from board member Richard Pratt to subdivide two Stockton Street lots. Mr. Pratt chose to abstain from voting on the Talmazon application on Monday night.
"Whatever way I vote, somebody is going to raise a stink," he said.
South Main Street resident Terry Meyer said the condition of the Talmazon house was not the issue, the size of the lots is. And, when asked, board attorney Gary Rosensweig agreed.
Board member Nancy Walker Laudenberger, who lives near the property, said neighbors had made a "powerful statement" in opposing the plan. Colleague Walter Sikorski pointed to both community opposition and a desire to be in accord with the borough’s overall development goals.
Chairman Steve Misuira said the applicant simply hadn’t shown the hardship required to justify the variance.
"I’m against this not because I oppose subdivisions," he said. "We do need to accept growth. It’s just a matter of how and where. I don’t see any hardship whatsoever."
The board voted 6-0 to reject the application, with Mr. Pratt abstaining.
After the meeting, Mr. Coates said he and his client were unsure of their next step.

