Salvation Army to wrap up annual drive
By: Joseph Harvie
At about 4 p.m. Sunday, the final bell, or tuba in some locations, will sound, bringing an end to the annual South Brunswick Service Unit of the Salvation Army’s Kettle Drive.
This is the last week of the drive and the organizers are hoping people will be generous this weekend. All of the money raised is used to help South Brunswick residents.
"We’re keeping on par with last year and looking to push ahead of last year," Frank Gramieri, a co-organizer of the event said Monday. "Every time we do it, we think it is better to improve from the time before. And that’s what we’re hoping will happen."
The drive brought in $9,302 last year, about $600 more than in 2004.
The money is used to purchase gift cards for gasoline and to Wal-Mart for families in emergency situations. In the past, it has been used to help families whose houses have burned down.
Bell ringers will be at the Wal-Mart on Route 1 in West Windsor Saturday, and for the entire weekend at the Stop & Shop and Dunkin’ Donuts on Route 522; Pierre’s of South Brunswick and the Wawa on Georges Road; and the Walgreens on Route 27 in Franklin, across from the Kendall Park Post Office, Mr. Gramieri said. The volunteers are out from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
People craving a musical treat should head to Wawa on Georges Road between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. Sunday when Andrew McDermott, Andrew Monteiro, Scott Wissocki, Nick Gallagher and Kim Lasky, all of the South Brunswick High School Vikings Marching Band. Instead of ringing the bell, the musicians will be playing trumpets, the saxophone and the tuba.
Mr. Gramieri said the quintet performed this past weekend at the Wawa and drew a lot of attention.
"This weekend we had kids playing instruments, and that helped out a lot," Mr. Gramieri said. " The South Brunswick band ensemble is playing again this weekend again."

