Charges filed in assault

Two teens charged after hitting man on head with a wooden baseball bat.

By: Joseph Harvie
   Police charged a 14-year-old township boy and a 15-year-old Sayreville boy at 4 p.m. Friday with the Feb. 27 attempted robbery of a Royal Oaks man, who was hit on the head with a baseball bat, police said.
   The two were charged with delinquency after the Sayreville teen ran from police officers, who were responding to a family disturbance call at a Blackhorse Lane residence, police said.
   Police said that the 15-year-old was wanted in connection with an alleged aggravated assault in Carteret. Police said the teen ran into a wooded area behind the home, where he was captured by police and taken into custody.
   Once in custody, police said that officers found a set of keys in the teen’s pocket that belonged to a stolen car from Perth Amboy, which was parked near the Blackhorse Lane residence.
   An investigation by South Brunswick Police Detectives Joe Halmi and John Klemas linked both teens to last week’s assault and attempted robbery on Sugar Maple Court in Royal Oaks.
   Police said the teens struck the victim over the head with a wooden baseball bat in the parking lot of his apartment complex and rummaged through the victim’s pockets, but found that he had no money.
   The 14-year-old surrendered at police headquarters Saturday afternoon, police said.
   The investigation also linked the 15-year-old to a burglary at Barrett Gardens Apartments in February, where he allegedly stole money from a friend, police said.
   Both juveniles were in custody at the Middlesex County Juvenile Detention Center in North Brunswick pending court proceedings, police said.