Montgomery school board approves budget

Controversial activity fee gets bulk of attention

By: Greg Forester
   MONTGOMERY — A lively discussion about activity fees and a unsuccessful motion for their removal preceded unanimous approval of the 2007-2008 Montgomery school budget this week.
   The $72.9 million budget translates into a $8,643 tax impact on the average Montgomery house, assessed at $509,500, according to school board documents.
   That represents an increase of $235 compared to the 2006-2007 budget, the smallest tax increase in some years. Only two years ago the average tax jumped by nearly $1,000.
   Despite the overall reduction in tax increases and cost to Montgomery taxpayers, once again the controversial inclusion of a new revenue source — activity fees — brought comment toward the end of the hearing.
   The fees have pitted the board’s attempt at reigning in the surging cost of property taxes against the paradigm of a free public education.
   The activity fees, which in their final revision would be a one-time $75 charge to any student taking part in extracurricular activities in grades seven through 12, were introduced as an estimated $175,000 revenue source to help offset a $2 million budget shortfall.
   Board member Andrea Bradley made the motion to remove the fees at literally the 11th hour Tuesday, sometime around 11:30 p.m., after hearing the public speak out against the fees at the hearing.
   "I think about the people moving to Montgomery and finding out the school charged these fees, and that’s just not Montgomery," said Ms. Bradley, who originated the motion to remove the fees. "I’m just not convinced this is a last resort."
   Ms. Bradley moved to have the fees completely removed from the budget after several public comments condemning the fees, and just before the board’s budget vote.
   The motion would have removed the fees and raised the tax impact on the average home by about $20, according to estimates given at the hearing.
   Following the presentation of a petition by one Montgomery student, other members of the public spoke out on the fees.
   "If one kid doesn’t participate because of these fees that would be awful," said resident Brian Boyle.
   The theme of activities and college continued with other members of the public.
   "I don’t believe turning our school into pay-to-play is the answer," said another resident. "Keep public education free and public."
   Wayne Fox, a former board member, said the board’s decision could influence the upcoming public budget vote.
   "With public education, everyone is supposed to share the cost," said Mr. Fox. "If the parents join the seniors and vote down the budget, then it will go to the Township Committee.
   "Suck it up, and get rid of the fees," he said.
   Ms. Bradley’s motion received some support from board member Dr. Saul Rubinstein, who said he was dismayed the board had not examined other areas of the budget to make cuts that could have prevented the fees.
   "The board has repeatedly asked the administration to examine cutting transportation costs, which had been treated as some sort of sacred cow," said Dr. Rubinstein. "I’m frustrated we didn’t explore these as soon as possible."
   Despite his vocal demonstration of support, Dr. Rubinstein ended up voting against Ms. Bradley’s motion after discussion among the other board members.
   During the motion’s discussion, other board officials said they disagreed with Ms. Bradley’s statements, citing the last-minute timing of her objections and the plight of seniors in Montgomery who face rising property taxes to pay for schools they no longer make use of.
   "I must balance my concern for the elderly that are moving out of Montgomery with my concern for students not being able to participate because of the fees," said board member Reginald Luke.
   Board President David Pettit said that although he understood the importance of participation in extra-curricular activities, the board was required to strive to keep property taxes down.
   "The tax increases of the last few years are not sustainable, and it’s getting to the point where living here is not affordable," said Mr. Pettit.
   Charles Jacey, a member of the budget and finance committee himself, said he could not reconcile himself with raising the tax levy by removing the fees.
   "I’m not in favor of increasing taxes to take out these fees," said Mr. Jacey. "If this motion passes, I believe we need to go back to the drawing board."
   Members of the public present at the meeting, which lasted well past midnight, said they agreed with Ms. Bradley’s motion, and were led to believe the inclusion of the fees was a last resort to cutting programs.
   "We have been led to believe that these fees were a necessity," said Parent Teacher Student Association member Maria Kauzzman. "Assuming the rest of the tax levy is OK for the seniors, is an extra $150 OK for the families?"
   Mark Conforti, a member of the board’s budget and finance committee, told the audience the fees were necessary because of the long list of activities Montgomery schools provide.
   "The lines of people making proposals for new activities grows," said Mr. Conforti. "As the cost increases we can either cut programs or charge fees.
   "The cost to parents paying on their own would be a much greater multiple of $75."
   Board officials said they had examined other options besides the fees, including cutting Spanish language programs in the elementary schools and privatizing custodial services. The Board of Education settled on the current fee program after the public expressed dissatisfaction with the other options.
   The public vote on the budget will take place on April 17 at the Princeton Elks building on Route 518. The school board election will also take place at that time.