By:Emily Holody
JAMESBURG With few concerns about who or what to vote for, everyone who turned out at the Jamesburg polls had a simple choice on Tuesday evening.
Voters approved an $11.26 million budget that called for no school tax increase.
They also voted in three incumbent school board members, who were running unopposed, to serve three-year terms and a fourth candidate, also running unopposed, to fill an unexpired term.
The budget was approved by a vote of 195-28. In addition, Thomas Bodall received 174 votes, Michael Tehan received 161 votes, and Patrice Faraone received 175 votes. Ted Summers, who was seeking to fill a 1-year term vacated by former member Frank Tarulli, received 164 votes.
Bill Zimmerman, husband of Karen Zimmerman, a member of the school board, said he wants "to see that kids get a proper education," after he voted for the school budget.
"They don’t waste school money here. I’d have to say they really stretch a dollar."
His two children are in the Jamesburg school system and he said, they get a very good education.
"I’m very happy with the schools," he said.
Voters such as Mr. Zimmerman expressed more concern about what the budget would do for the children rather than what it wouldn’t take out of their pockets in taxes.
Many other Jamesburg residents expressed their satisfaction with not having a school tax increase.
School board President Don Peterson said the district worked hard to keep school taxes flat.
"We have an extremely lean budget and take into consideration both the needs of the schools and the taxpayers," said Mr. Peterson Wednesday.
He said the board tried to create a budget that would please taxpayers.
With the budget approved, the school board is now looking toward applying for a $109,000 state grant that would enable it to rehire a librarian at the John F. Kennedy School to work with children with reading problems, hire a basic skills teacher for students with lower test scores and an ESL teacher to offset the 50 percent increase in non-English speaking students, which is up from 21 last year to the current 43.
Although the school board originally thought it was eligible to receive the grant, the application process is now unclear.
"The state hasn’t come out with guidance yet, so we’re waiting on the state," said Mr. Peterson.
Although he expressed relief over the passing of the budget, Mr. Peterson says he is "extremely frustrated" with the situation and is "hoping (the grant) won’t become a major issue".

