Borough Council moves on emergency measures

Manville approves the use of temporary trailers as residences and sets up a special emergency appropriation fund not to exceed $500,000.

By: Rebecca Weltmann
   While residents take strides to clean out their homes and recover from the damage caused by the recent nor’easter, the Borough Council took strides Monday to help out in an official way.
   A slew of resolutions were approved that were similar to the steps taken by the borough following Hurricane Floyd in September 1999.
   In addition to unanimously approving the use of temporary trailers subsidized by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the council also moved to set up a special emergency appropriation fund not to exceed $500,000.
   The trailers would be available for those homeowners who have had their homes damaged to the point where they cannot be occupied unless major repairs are done.
   The trailers would be kept on the residents’ properties until their primary homes are repaired. Each trailer requires a construction permit and may not be any closer than 4 feet to existing property lines, unless conditions dictate otherwise. The trailers may be used for up to six months before the occupants would have to apply for an extension.
   Prior to the nor’easter, Manville had an ordinance in place that did not allow for temporary trailers as living quarters. This new ordinance, because of extenuating circumstances, would allow trailers. Mayor Corradino said the cost of the trailers, including where the trailers come from, would be up to the individuals who need them.
   He added that his hope is that Manville will be declared a disaster area so that FEMA would subsidize the cost of the trailers for the individual homeowners.
   Most of that money, Mayor Corradino said, will be reimbursed by the county.
   "That money is to help compensate for cleanup and whatever storm-related monies we need to spend," he added. "I expect that we will get reimbursed by the county with the money we need to spend as bills come in."
   A meeting that had been scheduled for 7 p.m. tonight (Thursday) at the Weston School to answer residents’ questions about the flood recovery process has been canceled. According to the mayor, the meeting was postponed until FEMA representatives can be present at the meeting.
   "If anyone has any questions or problems with insurance, we will hopefully be able to help them," Mayor Corradino said. "Hopefully by that point, the president will have signed a declaration for us that allows us to know how the process will go with FEMA."