Contractor will begin highest risk work on June 23
By: Greg Forester
MONTGOMERY Officials from the demolition company selected to perform work at the former North Princeton Development Center discussed a preliminary schedule for the demolition work Thursday before the township’s Community Advisory Board.
Brandenburg Industrial Services divided the NPDC site into five sections, tagging those nearest the Village Elementary School as the first priority, along with sections of the site north of a residential neighborhood adjacent to the 250-acre former state institution.
"Through the community information forums held earlier in the year, it was clear the community desired to address the areas of the highest risk first, especially near the school," said Mayor Cecilia Birge. "We expect them to deliver."
Township officials said they were pleased with the plan and the decision to make the school and the residential areas the highest priority for the demolition work.
"It is very responsive to what the people suggested, and the company agreed," Deputy Mayor Louise Wilson said.
The Village Elementary School is located near the center of the complex, which also includes approximately 90 buildings slated for demolition by Brandenburg.
Brandenburg is continuing to perform preliminary work on the site, noting the location of utility pipes and asbestos-covered steam pipes while preparing for the abatement of asbestos in many of the dilapidated structures, according to Mayor Birge.
"I’ve been on the site and watched what they have been doing," said Ms. Wilson. "Extremely comfortable with this company and their professionalism."
The preliminary work is being done to allow for Brandenburg to quickly proceed with the demolition on June 23, following the last day of school at the Village Elementary School on June 22.
Brandenburg’s contract calls for a completion date before the beginning of school in September, allowing for the necessary cleanup of the site and the school.
The demolition company plans to work extra hours with extra manpower to ensure the timely completion, according to township officials.
"Brandenburg intends to work six days a week 10 hours a day on Monday through Friday and eight hours on Saturdays with multiple work crews," said Ms. Wilson.
Township Committee officials said they have already drafted a resolution closing Main Boulevard, which traverses the site, in order to keep motorists and others from entering while Brandenburg performs the summer work.
Police are already patrolling the site, ready to hand out trespassing tickets to people venturing off of Main Boulevard onto other parts of the site.
"I can’t stress it enough that safety is our No. 1 priority," Mayor Birge said.
Deputy Mayor Wilson said officials from the Shade Tree Committee and other environmental groups have been on site, advising Brandenburg workers what trees they consider an asset.
These trees would then be protected while Brandenburg removes overgrowth and other vegetation that have covered some of the structures.

