Princeton High’s classroom trailers are on the way out

A sign of confidence that long construction project will be largely completed by September

By: Nick Norlen
   Temporary trailers used as classrooms since the beginning of the lengthy Princeton High School construction project are on their way out.
   Although the trailer removal is separate from the completion of the construction project at the high school, it’s a sign the district is confident that the new facilities will be ready to accommodate students in the fall, Director of Plant Operations Gary Weisman said Thursday.
   Mr. Weisman said approximately half of the trailers, leased by the district during the project, have been removed.
   The trailers will be stored in a parking lot on Franklin Avenue and Walnut Lane until they are taken away by the contractor, he said.
   Although he said July 5 is an early date to give an indication of how the next few months will go, Mr. Weisman said "the summer has gotten off to a good start."
   "The moment graduation ended — literally — people were all over the building getting the work started," he said. "Things are going full tilt inside the building with the contractors that are working on the school construction." He said he has been accompanying contractors to completed areas to survey items for a punch list.
   "We check off what’s still amiss," he said, noting that the contractor then comes back to make the necessary modifications or fixes.
   One of the recent changes was the adjustment of regulation game lines in the new gym, which was recently completed, he said. Mr. Weisman said the floor could be put to use as soon as the end of this week.
   Although Superintendent Judy Wilson said previously that the contractors would have less difficulty working when school is not in session, summertime activities are still running smoothly at the school, Mr. Weisman said.
   "There are summer programs that are taking place with the high school, but that’s well coordinated with the people that are there," he said.
   He said he’s confident everything will be completed in time for the school year.
   "We’re going full steam ahead," he said.