A few details still to wrap up, but work expected to begin soon
By: Greg Forester
MONTGOMERY The developer building the Montgomery Promenade shopping center received final approvals for additional portions of the project Monday, and construction crews are expected to be on site within a few weeks to begin work.
Madison Marquette received final approval for the proposed anchor stores, with the exception of some details of the Stop & Shop grocery store and the central plaza of the center, and officials familiar with the project said the shopping center should be open for holiday shoppers in the fall of 2008.
The Stop & Shop and plaza portions of the 325,000 square foot retail center will come back before the Planning Board later in the summer for final approval from the board.
"They will have to come back before the Planning Board in the next couple of months and get these loose ends straightened out," said Planning Board Chairman Steven Sacks-Wilner. "Besides that, they fundamentally got approval for everything else they need to commence construction."
Despite the exceptions, Madison Marquette representatives were pleased with the approvals and the manner the township was going about the process for the project, on the southwest corner of the Route 518 and 206.
"Montgomery Township has been great to work with on this project," said Madison Marquette Attorney Tom Hall. "There are always issues, and it was sensible to proceed on the parts we can, and come back to address others."
Madison Marquette officials said they hope to address the approval exceptions later in the summer, while they move forward with lease negotiations with such tenants as Barnes & Noble, Chico’s, Coldwater Creek, Anne Taylor Loft, and Panera Bread.
While approval for the Stop & Shop details and the central plaza will have to wait, heavy equipment will be moved to the site and begin the clearing and grading for the municipal roads and other infrastructure, Montgomery officials said.
"The approval we gave on Monday will allow them to actually get a shovel in the ground, get financing, and start building those roads," said Mr. Sacks-Wilner.
Mr. Sacks-Wilner said the exceptions to the approvals granted Monday include portions of the project having to do with lighting at the center, and the color and architecture of the Stop & Shop building.
Montgomery officials said the plans included too much lighting.
"We don’t want it to be too dark, so people don’t feel secure at night, but we don’t want unnecessary lighting either," said Deputy Mayor Louise Wilson.
Ms. Wilson said the central public plaza at the intersection of two of the center’s roadways was also an exception to Monday’s approval.
"We haven’t quite nailed down the design of the plaza yet," she said. "This is another area of the project where we are trying to strike a balance, between attracting pedestrians and their safety and the automobile traffic driving through the center."
Ms. Wilson said these exceptions to the final approval will still allow Madison Marquette to get started on the project while they wait to come back before the Planning Board.
"We’re interested in their starting with the roadway construction and we’re mindful of everybody’s interest of wanting to be open in 2008," said Ms. Wilson. "They’re also working on leases with tenants, which we think are good and appropriate for Montgomery, and we don’t want those to fall through."
A group of local businesses from shopping centers located near the new shopping center had sued Madison Marquette and Montgomery Township over the adherence to land-use law regarding approvals for the center.
Many of the businesses told The Packet they had been approached by a lawyer who offered financial support from an unknown entity in return for involvement in the lawsuit.
The lawsuit had started out with as many six plaintiffs, although five have withdrawn, leaving only Garbo Jewelers in the case.

