Seeking examples of outstanding development in Washington area in bid to counter Hillier planning effort
By: Greg Forester
WEST WINDSOR A resident with property in the train station redevelopment area is looking for public input about the project, inviting community leaders on a trip to the Washington area to examine similar developments.
Steve Goldin whose InterCap Holdings company owns property near the station is offering an all-expense paid trip to what he believes are outstanding examples of development, after previously offering the township $1.5 million to jumpstart the redevelopment process.
"We’ve invited community leaders and residents to come out and see some examples of great planning, design and architecture," said Mr. Goldin. "Numerous organizations have recognized the sites we’ll go to as great pieces of design and planning."
The trip to the nation’s capital area is planned for July 27 and 28, with InterCap Holdings paying for transportation, private accommodations and meals.
While Mr. Goldin advocates his plans to elicit more community input on the redevelopment project, the township is still debating what to do next on what has been a stalled project.
With RMJM Hillier still on board planning the project, township officials say it’s up to Mr. Goldin to find his place within the process being conducted with the architecture firm.
"Mr. Goldin knows we have the current process working right now and he knows what he can do," said Mayor Shing-Fu Hsueh. "He has the same right to do as he wishes as any other property owner."
Councilman Charles Morgan echoed Mayor Hsueh’s statements about Mr. Goldin having the right to do what he wished with his property and money.
"He’s free to do what he wants, and I told him he should reach out to the community," said Mr. Morgan. "I don’t have anything to complain about his plans, and we’ll see what actually comes out of it."
Mr. Morgan said the township government was busy with its own process.
"Right now we’re trying to figure out what the community wants from us," Mr. Morgan said.
When announced, part of Mr. Goldin’s original plans for more community input involved renewed public workshops with what he described as better presentations and more hands-on involvement with the community, proposals that would have carried a significant price tag.
Mr. Goldin said he believes people are beginning to realize the project needs more financial resources to proceed, and that his offer of $1.5 million is still out there.
Township officials have said that $330,000 of the $400,000 in contract monies with RMJM Hillier are almost exhausted, but Mayor Hsueh said he doesn’t foresee taking Mr. Goldin up on his $1.5 million offer to jumpstart the process.
"Hillier was very reasonable with our last contract and I believe a new contract would be negotiated in the same way," Mayor Hsueh said.
Township officials worked on the redevelopment project Friday after nearly a month hiatus, following the cancellation of the second in a series of joint Planning Board and Township Council meetings.
The Steering Committee for the project met and worked on preliminary dates and an agenda for the next joint meeting.
Mayor Hsueh said the committee will schedule the next meeting as soon as it receives word on appropriate dates from members of Township Council, Planning Board, and RMJM Hillier.
The township will also ask J. Robert Hillier’s firm to go back and review all of the public input.
"What we need to do is make the program better and engage the public, and make the whole process more inclusive for residents," Mayor Hsueh said.
The architecture firm has been working on the project with the township since late 2006, when the Township Council approved a $400,000 contract with the architecture firm to plan the redevelopment.

