By: Cara Latham
MILLSTONE The Township Committee took steps to embark on the second phase of a park project located on the corner of Charleston Spring and Young Terrace roads last week.
At its meeting July 18, the committee approved $200,000 to be used for improvements to Abate Park, which broke ground last fall. The first phase consisted of placing two general purpose soccer fields there, in addition to three tennis courts, three basketball courts the township currently only has one other basketball court a handball wall and jogging and walking paths, Deputy Mayor Bob Kinsey said.
The second phase will consist of expansion of the walking and jogging paths, and for creating fitness and wellness stations, a tot lot, quiet areas, including gazebos, and extending the park’s berm, Mr. Kinsey said.
The township is also going to be applying for a $90,000 grant to place a bathroom facility at the park, and will do a presentation on that at the end of August, he said.
Mr. Kinsey said the improvements are part of efforts township officials are continuing to make to improve recreational facilities in the township. In 2005, the township began working on the Wagner Farm Park. The fields there are finished, but work still needs to be completed on the building. The facilities at the park are handicapped accessible and vandal-proof, he said.
The township is also continuing to move forward with its recreation study, he said, including a 164-acre farm in the western part of the township that is "another area that ultimately we will be looking to develop," even though officials have not yet decided what type of uses will be permitted there.

