By: Vic Monaco
The status of the investigation into the disappearance of Amy Giordano of Hightstown and the search for her married boyfriend, Rosario "Roy" Digirolamo, was "unchanged" this week including the fact that a forensics test report on her borough apartment remained incomplete.
But there were some new developments related to the case.
One-year-old Michael Digirolamo, the couple’s baby who was abandoned outside a Newark, Del., hospital about seven weeks ago, was the subject of a closed hearing last week that was "part of the process toward termination of parental rights," said Kelly Bachman of the Delaware Children’s Department.
Ms. Bachman said she could not reveal any details of that hearing or when the next one might be held. But she explained that the termination process usually takes six months to nine months to complete.
"Once terminated, the child is legally available for adoption," she said.
In the meantime, she said, Michael remains with the same Delaware foster family.
In addition, Cpl. Jeffrey Whitmarsh of the Delaware State Police said this week that that agency’s probe had turned up no evidence of Mr. Digirolamo having any connection to the area.
"Maybe he knew the hospital was there," he said. "It’s well-marked; it’s just about 10 minutes off the New Jersey Turnpike … and very very close to 95."
"While we would like very much to know where Amy is, the outcome is probably not going to be what we’re going to like it to be," he added.
Meanwhile, the vice president of Conair, the East Windsor company where Mr. Digirolamo worked before flying to Italy on June 14, said a review of the employee’s phone records back to January revealed no overseas calls. John Mayorek previously told the Herald that Mr. Digirolamo, 32, often spoke in Italian when he made calls from work.
Casey DeBlasio, spokeswoman for the Mercer County prosecutor’s office, said Wednesday that she doesn’t know if Mr. Digirolamo’s wife, Maria DiMaggio, speaks Italian. She said she couldn’t say if Mr. Digirolamo had contacted anyone since traveling to Italy, where law enforcement officials believe he traveled to alone and where he remains.
She also said that law enforcement officials have not ruled out a possible link between Mr. Digirolamo and/or his wife with the Mafia. That was initially being investigated because the couple bought their Millstone house from reputed Mafia member Stefano Vitable, who was sentenced last year to life in prison for murder and racketeering.
Ms. DeBlasio said the status of case was "unchanged" and that her office was not in possession of the "complete" forensics report. Another official in that office previously indicated that that report was expected a few weeks ago, but Ms. DeBlasio said, "I don’t know that there’s a delay." She said the "forensic testing process is a lengthy one" and that New Jersey State Police "are aware this is a priority and are treating it as such."
She said she was unable to predict when the full report would be complete and, for the first time, said she did not know what information from that report, if any, would be released.
Capt. Al Della Fave of the New Jersey State Police said this week that he could only say that all of the potential evidence from Ms. Giordano’s apartment at 108 Mercer St. had been submitted to the State Police laboratory.
In addition to the forensics testing. Ms. DeBlasio said Wednesday that the analysis of three computers two used by Mr. Digirolamo and one by Ms, Giordano was continuing.
Ms. Giordano, 27, was last seen June 7 at the ShopRite store on Route 130 in East Windsor. She was with Mr. Digirolamo and their young son, the latter being found two days later outside the Christiana Hospital.
Mr. Digirolamo was last seen June 11 at Conair. Three days later, he boarded a plane in Newark to Milan, Italy. Prior to leaving, he called his father in New York and said he was "confused and needed some time," according to law enforcement officials.
Mr. Digirolamo was charged in Delaware with abandoning the child after State Police there said they determined that he had made cell phone calls from near the hospital on June 9.

