South football team hopes for better season

By: John E. Powers
   WEST AMWELL — South Hunterdon Regional High School football coach Jim Meert is expecting better.
   So are his players.
   The Eagles, who open the season at Middlesex Sept. 7, finished last year with a 1-9 record. The Eagles do have several key players returning, who many of their opponents would love to have.
   Senior linebacker/fullback Kyle Hart, junior quarterback/receiver Brian Snell, senior tight end/defensive end Dan Musselman, senior lineman Rob Williamson and senior linebacker/tailback Brandon Scesney are among them. Junior Anthony Danese, a wide receiver/defensive back, is recovering from a broken hand, but is expected back, the coach said.
   The Eagles, scheduled to end their scrimmage season at Bordentown Friday, looked good in spots last Friday against Dayton, a team they registered their win against last year. The two opposed each other in a controlled scrimmage in scrimmage.
   Sophomore quarterback Rickey Esposito, who started a few games last year as a freshman, took the majority of snaps in the scrimmage. Snell missed most of the scrimmage with leg cramps.
   Senior Ryan Marriott had several good gains as did senior Joshua Hathaway. Junior lineman Russell Miller and seniors Ryan Rocco and Matt Naples played well.
   The Eagles came into pre-season camp with a good summer behind them. Meert, in his second year, had a active summer for his team. The Eagles took part in a 7-on-7 scrimmages at Penn State.
   "I know we’re a much better team than we were last year," said Meert, the former Hunterdon Central coach entering his second year at South. "I’ve told people that Kyle Hart could have played fullback for just about any team I’ve coached. He’s a big kid. And Brian Snell will be a good athlete. I really think he could be a college player.
   He added, "We have some really good players. We have a lack of depth, but we’re going to get up and down the field like heck. We’re hoping we can win a couple. We want to be a competitive."
   Hart scored five touchdowns last year, three that came in the season opener at Middlesex, a 26-20 overtime loss. The Eagles will see the Blue Jays once again in Middlesex — because of the construction project at South Hunterdon.
   "I really like our kids," Meert said. "We went to central Pennsylvania, and we were only one of three teams from New Jersey there. We went 4-2-1. Of course, we didn’t have to tackle. But I’m confident we’re going to be better."