Deadline looms for candidates

Anyone interested in filling a vacant seat on the Board of Education must say so by Monday.

By: Paul Koepp
   The deadline is approaching for candidates to express their interest in filling a vacant seat on the Board of Education.
   School district officials must receive a letter of interest and a resume by Monday from anyone who wants to fill the seat vacated by Attilio DeFalco, who resigned Aug. 31 to take a position at Cornell University.
   Candidates for the board seat must be registered voters who have lived in South Brunswick for at least a year, and they cannot hold a contract or claim against the school district. Because Mr. DeFalco was in the last year of his three-year term, his replacement will serve until the next board election in April, when the seat will again be open.
   School district Business Administrator Anthony Tonzini said Wednesday that he has received four letters of interest so far. He said that, after the deadline, questionnaires will be sent to the candidates and they will then come in at some point for interviews with the full school board.
   The board must choose a replacement within 60 days of Mr. DeFalco’s resignation, and an announcement could be made at either the Oct. 8 or Oct. 22 board meeting, Mr. Tonzini said.