Falk Engel "besieged" by people asking he demand votes be rechecked
By Lea Kahn, Staff Writer
A handful of provisional ballots cast in last week’s general election did nothing to change the winning candidates for three seats on Township Council, reaffirming the victors as incumbent council members Pam Mount and Michael Powers and newcomer Bob Bostock.
But Republican Party candidate Falk Engel, who trailed Mr. Bostock by 14 votes in the Nov. 6 election and who continues to trail by the same amount, said he is considering whether to seek a re-check of the voting machines.
The provisional ballots were opened Friday morning and counted in the six-way race for three seats on Township Council. Of the 27 provisional ballots cast, 11 were rejected for various reasons, according to the Mercer County clerk’s office. That left 16 to be counted and included in the final vote.
Mr. Powers, a Democrat, picked up nine additional votes for a total of 3,468, and Ms. Mount, also a Democrat, got seven more votes for a total of 3,441. Mr. Bostock, a Republican, also earned seven more votes to round out third place with 3,264.
Mr. Engel, a Republican, got seven more votes for a final count of 3,250. Democrat Jim Kownacki earned seven votes to receive a total of 3,245, and Republican Marie Tagliaferri, who finished last, got seven more votes for a final vote of 2,897.
Mr. Engel said Tuesday afternoon he is mulling over whether to ask for a re-check of the voting machines. The deadline for seeking a re-check is Nov. 21.
”I have been besieged by Democrats, Republicans and independents to ask for a re-check,” Mr. Engel said. “My telephone rang off the hook for three or four days after the election. It is a statistical dead heat (between Mr. Bostock and me). It would give the voters satisfaction if there is a re-check.”
”I want to study the issue,” he said. “I have not made up my mind. I have one more week (to decide), and I want to use the time to study and analyze it.”
Lawrence Township Democratic Club President Joseph Cermele said Saturday afternoon that neither he nor the candidates, including Mr. Kownacki who came in less than two dozen votes shy of third place, would challenge the results. The provisional ballots “did not change the numbers substantially,” he said.
”The provisional ballots did not result in a basic change in the order of the candidates. We are not going to ask for a recount,” Mr. Cermele said.
Mr. Bostock had previously said that he, too, would not be asking for a recount.

