Princeton officials press truck concerns

Pending state regulations a month away

By Nick Norlen Staff Writer
   Princeton officials working against the presence of large trucks in town on a number of fronts will have at least another month before new regulations go into effect, Township Committeeman Chad Goerner announced this week.
   After a recent federal court ruling allowed 102-inch-wide and double-trailer trucks with no New Jersey destination or origin to enter the New Jersey Access Network, the state created new rules for the truck network, which includes state and county roadways.
   Since then, township and borough officials have sent requests to the state Department of Transportation for the exemption of Routes 206 and 27 and Washington Road and Mercer Street from the network.
   Concerns cited by those worried about the increased presence of large trucks include pedestrian and bicyclist safety, as well as potential damage to historical structures and possible environmental impacts.
   In a separate move, the municipalities have also requested language changes in the regulations defining “reasonable access” and the different criteria for exclusions.
   Mr. Goerner, who is the liaison to the township traffic safety committee, said Tuesday that the DOT has announced that those regulations will not go into effect Dec. 1, as expected.
   That announcement was made in an email to Mr. Goerner from John Fuller, the DOT’s Policy, Legislation and Regulatory Actions Director.
   In the email, dated Nov. 26, Mr. Fuller also notes that DOT officials are working to set up a “courtesy meeting to explain our final rule adoption before it is filed, as well as discuss the exclusion request.”
   However, Mr. Goerner said he was alarmed by Mr. Fuller’s characterization of the upcoming meeting as a “courtesy meeting,” noting his belief that municipal officials would be able to review the regulation changes before they were finalized.
   Mr. Fuller could not be reached for comment.
   For now, Mr. Goerner said the township is looking into the possibility of additional enforcement of large trucks.
   He said a tentative meeting with the township police department has been scheduled for Monday, and said the township is also pursuing the possibility of cooperating with other municipalities, such as Lawrence Township.
   In addition, ordinances are being considering that would prohibit engine-braking or place limits on the noise levels that result from the practice, he said.
   ”All of these things are ways that we are trying to combat it at the same time, while waiting for the exclusion request,” he said.