Race still tied after recount

By Stephanie Prokop, Staff Writer
   NEW HANOVER — A Burlington County Board of Elections spokesperson said last week a recount of votes for the Nov. 6 Township Committee race shows the two candidates are still tied, 170-170.
   A new general election could be held on Jan. 22 if no other formal action is taken by the candidates to challenge the results, said county officials this week.
   On election night, the votes were 165-161 in favor of incumbent Republican Dennis Roohr, who ran against Democrat Sharon Atkinson, a former mayor.
   The county announced the recount results on Dec. 6.
   Ms. Atkinson said Tuesday that she had no comment on the recount results. As of Tuesday, neither candidate had filed a challenge. Mr. Roohr could not be reached for comment.
   One three-year committee seat was available in the election this year. Ms. Atkinson was nominated by write-in votes in the June primary.
   According to Burlington County Deputy Clerk Wade Hale, there were four absentee ballots and one provisional ballot submitted for Mr. Roohr. There were six absentee and three provisional ballots submitted for Ms. Atkinson.