By Katie Wagner, Staff Writer
Francisco Nava, a Princeton University junior who police say admitted to having fabricated both an assault and an e-mail threat to his life, has claimed he was motivated by a belief that his actions would draw attention to the pro-chastity cause of the student group the Anscombe Society, of which he was a member.
Two of the group’s other members said Mr. Nava shared his idea during a meeting Monday night that was attended by Butler College administrators.
According to Princeton Township Police Detective Sgt. Ernie Silagyi, both Princeton Township police and Princeton University security officers have the option to file charges against Mr. Nava if their investigations indicate a need to do so, with any charges filed likely to fall under the disorderly persons category.
If the Princeton University student is charged with these types of offenses, the case will be heard in the Princeton Borough Municipal Court, Princeton Township Municipal Court or both, depending on where the alleged violations were committed.
According to Kevin Staley-Joyce, Anscombe Society president, Mr. Nava described Monday how he inflicted injuries upon himself that he originally claimed had been the work of two attackers near 21 Tupelo Row in the township Friday night.
”He said he pummeled his face, he didn’t say what with. He scraped his head against a brick wall (and) broke the bottle (of Orangina) … over his head,” Mr. Staley-Joyce said. “It certainly was enough to merit treatment by doctors,” he added.
Sgt. Silagyi said while township police are investigating Mr. Nava’s initial reporting of the assault, Princeton University public safety officers are proceeding with an investigation of the e-mail threat, which Mr. Nava sent to himself, three other members of the Anscombe Society, and Robert George, a politics professor at the university who has served as an informal advisor to the Anscombe Society.
Charles Davall, Princeton University Public Safety Department deputy director for operations, declined to discuss the university’s investigation of Mr. Nava.
Princeton University spokeswoman Cass Cliatt said disciplinary action is pending in the incident.
Mr. Nava could not be reached for comment.

