Thank you to the Manalapan Township Committee for your continued support of the Manalapan Symphony Orchestra. When the conductor of the Manalapan Battleground Symphony resigned last May, I was not willing to let the symphony die. So, as a member of that orchestra, I decided to volunteer to help keep it together. I had played in the orchestra with three conductors before the move under the Manalapan umbrella. The point is, just because a conductor moves on does not mean that an orchestra has to cease.
Somehow in June or July, I became the lone volunteer. At that point I asked for the records for the seven years the symphony was under the township and being funded by the township. I wanted to send letters, e-mails, make phone calls, etc. There was no list. It became an issue. Why it was an issue, I have no idea. I just wanted the list. I felt confident that if I was able to go back though the seven years of records, I could contact and attract enough players. But there was no list and no records. I didn’t understand that.
If the symphony was being run by the Recreation Department, why couldn’t someone give me the records? Somebody had to know everyone who played. Someone had always contacted people. I was contacted for each concert as a member. I had received letters, e-mails and phone calls during the seven years.
Finally in August I was given a list of names. The list was quite incomplete and certainly not seven years of data. It was pretty clear at that point it was all we were going to get. I know the list was incomplete because my name wasn’t even on the list and I played the February concert in Princeton but had a scheduling conflict with the May date.
Moving on, the search for a new conductor began.MichaelAvagliano, who had been conductor of our Advanced Prep Orchestra, was one of the candidates.
He was the ideal choice for the symphony. He agreed to conduct the December concert on a trial basis. If he liked us, and the orchestra liked him, we would take it from there. The concert was absolutely wonderful and the feedback has been fantastic. One audience member said, “We were quite impressed with the program and orchestra. The conducting was excellent. I do believe that the new musical director will be an asset to the community. Congratulations.”
Orchestra members said he was easy to follow, very knowledgeable, and skilled. One e-mail said, “Thanks again for yesterday’s concert. What a pleasure playing under a conductor who’s so clear! I’d love to work with the Manalapan symphony more in the future, so please let me know if you need more help down the road.”
Together,Michael and I had rebuilt the orchestra.
The reaction and results are so positive. We can’t wait to play again. So we have scheduled our next performance, subject to Township Committee approval, for Sunday afternoon May 4.
Many thanks to Steve Pine who played clarinet and helped me round up former players who were not on the list, as well as the many volunteers who helped with the programs and ushering. I appreciate the support from our Manalapan Arts Council as well as Jose Maunez, the Manalapan High School band director who played trombone.
I would especially like to thank Mayor Andrew Lucas and Deputy Mayor Michelle Roth for popping into our dress rehearsal to offer support and encouragement. It was very nice that they stayed so long and spoke to so many, then stayed and observed the rehearsal. It was nice to see Township Administrator Tara Lovrich, Township Committeeman Rick Klauber, Deputy Mayor Roth and Mayor Lucas there on Sunday to support us.
Once the word got out in the music community that there was a new conductor, we had quite a few people reaching out to us. We found many had played here at some point in the past and were now anxious to play again. The administration office can tell you there were several unsolicited inquiries. We even had to turn down a few people because we had the positions filled. Now we have a back-up list, but we can always use more string players!
I would like to point out that all of the symphony records are in possession of the administration. If for some reason I could not continue, someone else could pick up where I left off. That was not the case when I started.
There were a few who publicly criticized the Township Committee about the symphony. I understand what happened and how the symphony was improperly funded through the recreation dedicated trust fund for so long. I know what was done improperly and never explained. To go any deeper into this serves no constructive purpose at this point.What was interesting to me was that those critics of the mayor and deputy mayor were not at the concert to support the symphony. It was obvious to everyone at the concert that the Township Committee does support the arts.
All billing has been submitted. Most of the payments should [have made] the bill list for Dec. 19 in one shot since most purchase orders are back already. Unlike past concerts, they will not be spread out over time. Final cost on this concert is $5,688, which included some folders since there were none turned over, and there will be a custodial fee. All printing was done inhouse and volunteers folded and stapled the programs. There were no additional paid employees on site for the concert, as was [the case] in the past. No Department of Public Works, we set our own stage. No recreation personnel were needed and no sandwiches were provided. Volunteers greeted the public, ushered, and handed out programs, and we played in Manalapan. Previous concerts cost $9,000 plus food, plus DPW, plus recreation, plus hall rental expense.
The Manalapan symphony is in great shape with full support. Although approximately 400 people attended our concert, there was room for more. Please make an effort to see your Manalapan symphony orchestra in May.
Martin Gelfond is the Manalapan symphony manager and violist.

