Prosecutor: Freehold cop did not commit a crime

Police department still investigating actions of officer

BY CLARE MARIE CELANO Staff Writer

FREEHOLD – Although an internal Freehold Borough police investigation continues into allegations of improper conduct on the part of a police officer, an investigation conducted by the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office is officially closed.

Freehold Borough Police Chief Mitch Roth said last week that the officer who has been accused of improper conduct, Patrolman Chris Colaner, is still on administrative duty until the department’s internal investigation is completed. Roth said the investigation should be completed soon.

At the heart of the matter are charges made by Migdalia Irizarry, 33, of Freehold Township, and her teenage son accusing Colaner of police brutality during an incident that occurred on First Street on Jan. 29.

Monmouth County FirstAssistant Prosecutor Peter E. Warshaw Jr. said the prosecutor’s office investigation into Colaner’s actions has been closed.

“Our investigation showed no probable cause to believe that the police officer committed a crime. The decision to close the case was made on all the available evidence,” Warshaw said.

He said neither Irizarry nor her son spoke with investigators on the advice of their attorney.

Warshaw said charges of disorderly conduct, resisting arrest with force and aggravated assault on a police officer that were lodged against Irizarry’s son are pending in juvenile court. Charges of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest that were lodged against Irizarry will be heard in Freehold Borough municipal court on April 8.

The allegations of improper conduct stem from a motor vehicle stop on Jan. 29. According to Freehold Borough police Lt. Mark Wodell, Irizarry was driving a vehicle past Mechanic Street while police officers were simultaneously investigating a reported assault and the subsequent flight of six men from the scene. It was reported that the assault involved a baseball bat.

Wodell said officers stopped Irizarry’s vehicle on First Street because it resembled the small sport-utility vehicle that themen who had been involved in the assault had driven off in.

Wodell said a scuffle took place during the motor vehicle stop and several officers responded to the scene.

According to Wodell, Detective Daniel Heulitt and Colaner were both injured in the scuffle. Heulitt was taken to CentraState Medical Center, Freehold Township, for treatment of an injured shoulder. Colaner, who sustained injuries to his back and shoulder, was not taken for treatment.

Irizarry’s son was taken to CentraState Medical Center for treatment and then placed in theMonmouth County Youth Detention Center, Freehold Township. The boy was subsequently released from that facility and now awaits the disposition of the charges that were lodged against him.