Only four seniors on roster
by Shawn Tyrrell, Sports Writer
On Saturday, the 2008 Manville High School football team kicks off its season when MHS goes on the road to take on Newark Central in the opening game for both schools.
It has been a busy summer for the Mustangs with scrimmages against the likes of Newark Academy and Marist (a tri-scrimmage), Keansburg and Metuchen. The team also took part in a 7-on-7 passing mini-camp, going head-to-head with bigger schools like Franklin and Montgomery. All of this was pivotal in helping give head coach Brett Stibitz a chance to see what he has going into the opener against Central.
Last season, the Mustangs had aspirations of second straight .500 season but injuries, a young team and a tough schedule saw MHS stumble and finish a disappointing 2-8.
The age factor will once again play a part as Manville only has a total of four seniors on the team’s 35-player roster. But there are 13 juniors, nearly all of whom have some varsity experience.
Even after seeing a lot of his players for the past couple of months, Stibitz still isn’t quite sure what to expect.
”We could go 0-10 or 10-0,” Stibitz said. “In regards to setting expectations I am not sure how things are going to pan out. This team is more athletic and probably the biggest in terms of size that I have ever had. It all depends on how we develop.”
MHS will have to use the size that Stibitz alluded to. They average about 250 pounds per player along the line and will need every single one of them for Manville to run the football effectively.
”We have some size on both sides of the ball,” Stibitz said. “During our scrimmages the holes were there. It is the responsibility of the running backs to see the holes and get through them. Offensively, we’re going to keep it basic.”
Seniors Joe Burnett, Joshua Michalski, Billy Mazzucca and Ryan Jankowski will all be expected to be leaders and have to help motivate the younger players. Stibitz knows he can rely on them.
”They are all good players and are focused on the upcoming season,” Stibitz said. “They want their season to be memorable, not something to be forgotten.”
Burnet (6-1, 250) should be a mainstay on both sides of the football with Mazzucca (5-11, 185) anchoring the offensive line at center, while holding one of the defensive linebacker positions. Michalski (5-11,185) will see extended time at running back and linebacker, while Jankowski (6-1, 190) will be the team’s tight end and one of the defensive ends on defense.
Juniors Jake Piscadlo (6-0, 270), Nick Chaballa (6-0, 200) and Anthony Delgiudice (6-3, 270) will all see time on both the defensive and offensive lines and will be counted on to open holes for the Mustang backfield.
Junior David Olmsted (5-9, 140) gets the nod as the Manville’s starting quarterback. Stibitz plans to go with a three-back running attack featuring juniors Angelo Bell (5-9, 170), and Mark Walyga (5-11, 185) and Matthew Veglatte (5-5, 150). Bell and Veglatte will see time in the Manville secondary, while Walyga, in addition to his fullback duties, will split time at defensive end.
The receiving duties will be handled by sophomore Michael Hopkins (6-0, 175) and junior Scott Alpizar (5-7, 140).
While the Mustangs hope to be a ball control offensive team. they do have a few wrinkles to throw against teams that try to load up the box against the run. Stibitz plans to install some special packages featuring a more wide-open offense. His biggest concern is the ability for his team to learn the assignments and cut down on mistakes.
”This team can have a lot of success, but we have to cut down on silly mistakes and turnovers,” Stibitz said. “We have to play good fundamentally sound football. We are not going to be flashy, but we will run the ball and mix up to keep teams honest.”
Newark Central will be a big test for MHS as they outran the Mustangs last year 36-26. Central has plenty of speed, but Manville will try to keep their offense off the field by using up the clock with long drives. It is a game the Mustangs definitely can win.
Coach Stibitz has some changes on his coaching staff for the 2008 season. Former Rutgers University standout Chris Cebula has been promoted to defensive coordinator, while Anthony Ziobro joins the staff as defensive and offensive line coach. New offensive coordinator Rob Snyder takes over the reigns and along with Stibitz will direct the Mustang plan of attack. Russ Manino also joins the staff and returning staples include Ned Panfile and John Bentz.

