By Anthony V. Coppola, Staff Writer
The East Windsor Regional school board unanimously approved a settlement this week under which East Windsor will pay $20,782 and Hightstown $3,275 in money owed by the towns for a fueling station run by the district and used by all three entities.
The amounts are much less than first reported and, according to the district, less than what is really owed.
The agreement addresses what school district attorney David Coates categorized as a deficit identified at the Mercer Street station from July 1, 2001 through June 30, 2007 related to administrative expenses and underbilled fuel costs.
According to a press release prepared by Mr. Coates, a February report put together by an accounting firm hired by the district showed $42,205 owed by the township and $10,321 owed by the borough for those two categories.
But, following meetings with Hightstown Borough Attorney Fred Raffetto and East Windsor Township Attorney David Orron, which began in June, the district decided to charge less, Mr. Coates wrote in his press release.
”Based on information supplied, credits were given to the municipalities,” he wrote. “The district in reviewing this matter, in effect, discounted a portion of the money due on the basis of the age of the deficit and hence the collectability.”
In March, district Business Administrator Kurt Stumbaugh issued letters to the borough and township, with copies sent to the Herald, outlining their alleged deficits. In the letter, he claimed that Hightstown owed $36,905 and East Windsor owed $139,202 for “delinquent” charges connected to the station. He also wrote that use of the station, a senior bus service and a township youth recreation program would be suspended until the towns made payments, at the school board’s request.
Superintendent Ron Bolandi acknowledged last month that Mr. Stumbaugh erred in releasing early alleged deficit numbers to the media without “thoroughly checking the information.”
Township and borough officials were highly critical of Mr. Stumbaugh’s claims and threats and the way he took them to the press. They also blamed inconsistent billing practices and record-keeping on the part of the district. Mr. Bolandi agreed the district had made mistakes, attributing them to former Business Administrator David Shafter, who denied responsibility.
”It was really our problem. It never really was the township or borough’s fault,” the superintendent said this week.
On Wednesday, Borough Administrator Candace Gallagher confirmed Hightstown’s settlement figure.
”I’m pleased that the borough and the school district were able to work cooperatively to resolve this matter,” she added.
Ms. Gallagher said payment will be issued when the Borough Council formally approves the settlement, which is expected to take place at its Sept. 15 meeting.
Last month, the Herald reported details of East Windsor’s settlement.
In an Aug. 1 letter from the township attorney to Mr. Coates, Mr. Orron references the meeting between both sides where an agreement on the township’s share of the cost — $20,782 — was reached. One week later, a payment of $20,782 — $12,013 for unbilled fuel consumption dating back to June 2001 and $8,769 for unbilled administrative expenses for the years 2002 through 2004 and 2007 — was sent to the district, as reflected by an invoice copy supplied to the Herald.
According to Mr. Coates, the district is pleased with the overall outcome.
”With these considerations in mind, the board of education believes that an equitable settlement has been reached which recognizes the importance of dealing forthrightly with this longstanding issue,” Mr. Coates wrote. “The school board looks forward to working cooperatively with the Township of East Windsor and Borough of Hightstown for the life of the interlocal agreement.”
— Vic Monaco contributed to this story.

