District preparing plan for preschool classes

By Eileen Oldfield Staff Writer
   MANVILLE — A state-mandated preschool program that all districts must have for the 2009-2010 school year has the district rushing to find approximate enrollment numbers and establish a curriculum for the program — in addition to the inevitable cost question.
   While speaking about the new program at Tuesday’s Board of Education meeting, Superintendent Donald Burkhardt noted the state requires a five-year curriculum plan for the preschoolers that must be submitted by December.
   The discussion followed a presentation Dr. Burkhardt made last week on new state regulations for high schools.

Officials say parents should


register preschoolers soon
   Parents interested in the district’s preschool program, available in the 2009-2010 school year, should contact District Curriculum Specialist Barbara Popp at 908-231-8542 to obtain information on the program and qualification paperwork.
   The preschool program is open to Manville children who will be 3- or 4-years-old before Oct. 1, 2009, and who qualify for the school’s free and reduced lunch program.
   The program may be extended to all preschoolers, if 40 percent or more of all children that age qualify for the reduced lunches.
   Forms are also available at the Weston School office, the Roosevelt School office, and the Alexander Batcho Intermediate School Office.
   Ms. Popp recommended returning the forms as soon as possible, since spots would be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis if the district gets too many applications from nonfree and reduced lunch programs students.

   ”We’re being squeezed from both sides right now,” Dr. Burkhardt said. “It’s from the preschool side and the high school side.”
   Under the state’s plan, the public preschool would be open to the borough’s economically at-risk 3- and 4-year-olds. If the number of such students comprise 40 percent of all preschool age-children, the district must offer a preschool for all 3- and 4-year-old children.
   While the district could send the students to another district and pay that district for the service, Dr. Burkhardt said district officials preferred keeping it in-house.
   Though the state provides some funding for the program, the district will foot most of the preschool bill, an added concern for the board.
   ”And all this is supposed to come out of that $11,000 (in per-pupil spending)?” board member Ned Panfile asked. “We can’t even pass a regular budget.”
   ”We don’t have the up-front cash to throw money into it and not have it (the money) available next year,” Finance and Facilities Chairman Gary Cortelyou said.
   According to Dr. Burkhardt, state funds for the preschool hang on the estimate the district provides — a low estimate could prevent the district from receiving funds, while overshooting the actual number would force the district to return unneeded funds.
   Accommodating the classes creates an additional problem for the district, since it lacks the space for additional classes at Weston School. Several plans are under consideration, including moving third-grade students to Roosevelt School. The district is also considering transferring fifth-grade classes from Roosevelt School to Alexander Batcho Intermediate School, and moving eighth-grade to Manville High School; or moving the Board of Education offices out of Roosevelt School without shifting more than the third grade.
   Cost is key, however, and could make shifting grades the least expensive option.
   ”We’re trying to prepare for this preschool movement into the school,” Mr. Cortelyou said. “We’re kind of scared to present a plan that won’t accommodate all students.”
   ”Is it ideal? No, I don’t think anyone thinks it’s ideal,” Dr. Burkhardt said. “But it’s what we can do to accommodate it at the lowest cost to the district.”
   Under state requirements, preschool classes would be limited to 15 students per class, with the students attending the preschool for six hours. The requirements specify that the preschool must have an administrator, a head teacher and teachers all certified in preschool education.
   The district will also need to provide breakfast, lunch and a snack for the children in the preschool classes, though students do not need to be toilet-trained to attend the school, Dr. Burkhardt said.
   A committee of board members will compile the number of potential preschoolers in the district by next month, based on preliminary responses to fliers sent to Weston, Roosevelt and Alexander Batcho Intermediate School parents. So far, about 150 potential preschoolers have been reported, though some may not fit the “at risk” criteria.