By Eileen Oldfield Staff Writer
MANVILLE — Incidents of violence and vandalism in Manville schools more than doubled in the 2007-08 school year, according to a report released at the Oct. 18 Board of Education meeting.
But the increase raised the total number of incidents last year to 11 from five in the 2006-07 school year.
”It’s not what I’d call excessive by any means,” Superintendent of Schools Donald Burkhardt said at the meeting. “Our schools are safe. Our cameras catch anything that goes on during the day… We’re about as safe as we can be.”
Of the 11 incidents reported, Dr. Burkhardt said six occurred in Alexander Batcho Intermediate School, and five occurred in Manville High School.
Of the incidents at the intermediate school, three involved harassment and intimidation, and two involved marijuana use.
At the high school, two incidents involved marijuana use, two incidents involved harassment and intimidation, and a single incident involved a fight at the school.
The 2006-07 report included a simple assault and two terroristic threats at Alexander Batcho Intermediate School, and a simple assault and a fight in the high school.
The district reported no substance abuse incidents that year.
The 2007-08 report marks the first in several years without terroristic threats, which are defined as threats to commit a violent crime with the intent to terrorize someone, cause evacuation of a building, or in disregard of the risk in causing terror.. In addition to the two threats reported in 2006-07, four incidents were reported in 2005-06.
The district submits the violence and vandalism reports to the state department of education.
Any weapons incidents none of which have been reported since 2006-07 are reported to the Manville Police Department, regardless of whether the incident involves pocketknives or more serious weapons.

