AHS boys’ soccer loses 2-1 in states

By: Kyle Moylan Sports Editor
    While the Allentown High boys’ soccer team’s entry into the state playoffs may have come as a bit of a surprise to some, the Redbirds weren’t happy to just simply be there.
    “We have been competitive against everyone the entire season,” noted Allentown’s first-year coach Bob Dubina. “We went into the game (Monday afternoon at Delran) expecting to win. We came off the field thinking we were the better team.”
    Unfortunately, Allentown was defeated 2-1 in the opening game of the Central Jersey Group II Tournament.
    Joe Hackimer and Dave Ribiero scored goals for Delran in the first half. Josh Howell cut into the deficit with a goal for Allentown, but the Redbirds could never quite get the equalizer.
    “We had an assistant coach go and scout Delran,” Dubina noted. “We knew who their betters players were, what they would try and do, all of their tendencies. We just had two breakdowns that led to goals.”
    As it has all season. Allentown played great soccer when it needed it most.
    “We outshot them for the game,” Dubina said. “We outshot them eleven to eight in the first half. We outshot them eight to five in the second half. We had some great scoring chances in the game. Their keeper made two great diving saves. We had opportunities. We just couldn’t finish.”
    The loss dropped Allentown back to 9-10-1 on the season. Allentown was scheduled to make-up a regular season game against Princeton this past Tuesday. A chance to play for a .500 season made it a very meaningful game.
    “A .500 season and double digits in wins would be great,” Dubina said. “I know a lot of people weren’t expecting a lot out of us this season, but we always expect to be competitive. Being competitive and always winning are two different things.”
    This team had a lot of tough losses. The loss to Delran is just the most recent one.
    “I feel like we were the better team today,” Dubina said. “It just didn’t show in the final score.”
    NEHS
    The New Egypt High boys’ soccer team is schedule to open play in the Central Jersey Group I field by hosting David Brearley at 2 p.m. today (Thursday). The winner of that game will advance on to play the winner of the South Amboy/Piscataway game. The next round game would be on Monday at the highest remaining seed.
    In action last week, New Egypt defeated Florence, 5-1. Rob Brown scored three goals and Chris Better and Pat Seiler added a goal each.