EAST WINDSOR: Trial set for 2006 stabbing defendant

    TRENTON — The murder trial of an East Windsor man charged in 2006 with stabbing a woman with whom he lived is scheduled to start Dec. 1, said a county prosecutor’s office spokeswoman.
    Donald Zampini, 70, of Wyndmoor Drive, is charged with the stabbing death of 63-year-old Barbara Morris with a household knife.
    He has pleaded not guilty to murder, possession of a weapon for unlawful purposes and unlawful possession of a weapon.
    The case will be heard by state Superior Court Judge Charles Delehey, according to prosecutor’s office spokeswoman Casey DeBlasio.
    East Windsor police said they responded to a 9-1-1 call at 12:57 a.m. Sept. 1, 2006 from a person they did not identify who said Ms. Morris had been murdered and that Mr. Zampini was attempting to commit suicide. When they arrived at the house, police said they found Mr. Zampini along with Ms. Morris’ body in the living room.
    Mr. Zampini had cuts and bruises on his hand and appeared to be losing consciousness due to the ingestion of over-the-counter sleep aids, police said.
    He remained this week at the Mercer County Correction Center in Hopewell in lieu of $500,000 bail.