By Stephanie Prokop, Staff Writer
BORDENTOWN TOWNSHIP — Candidates are still awaiting the results of the close municipal election in Bordentown Township, as the provisional, absentee, and emergency ballots are being checked for authenticity.
Unofficial tallies show Jason Medina and Bruce Hill leading the balloting for the two three-year Township Committee seats and Jim Cann as the top vote-getter for the one-year unexpired term.
The final official results are expected to be announced by the county Board of Elections on Friday.
“We are just checking to see if these people who voted on the provisional ballots are in fact registered to vote within Burlington County,” Burlington County Board of Elections Chairman Joe Dugan said Wednesday afternoon.
“It’s just comparing the provisionals to who is registered in the data bases; that takes the most time,” he said.
Mr. Dugan did not comment on how many provisional, absentee, or emergency ballots are currently being checked.
As of Nov. 5, there were nearly 100 provisional and 350 absentee ballots still being certified.
This means that the two open three-year committee seats and one one-year unexpired term remained within the reach of any candidate.
As of Wednesday, the unofficial results which did not include the provisional, absentee and emergency ballots showed current Mayor Bruce Hill retaining his seat with 2,182 votes; incumbent Republican Robert Delaney with 2,101; and incumbent Republican Anita DiMattia with 2,148. Democrat newcomers Stephen Monson, Mr. Medina, and Mr. Cann had 2,173; 2,217; and 2,212 votes; respectively.
Ms. DiMattia said last week she is satisfied with the campaign she ran.
“I think I did well with the amount of time I was given,” she said. Ms. DiMattia was appointed to the Township Committee shortly after the former mayor, George Chidley, resigned in late August.
“It was really a history-making presidential election. They said that people were going to be hitting the Democratic buttons all the way down the party line,” she said. She added that she doesn’t have any plans to run in next year’s election.
On Tuesday, Mr. Cann said that he was just content to let the details work out accordingly.
“We’re just going to let the system work its force, whatever comes, comes,” he said.
“It’s not something you can do much about. We need to just let the process let it take its course,” he added.

