Stahl eyes township’s finances as term nears

Plans to cut assistant’s position; look at others

BY VINCENT TODARO Staff Writer

Barack Obama isn’t the only one making the economy a priority as he prepares to take over.

East Brunswick Councilman and Mayor-elect David Stahl is thinking along the same lines.

Stahl told the Sentinel he plans to focus on East Brunswick’s financial issues when he takes over for Mayor William Neary on Jan. 1. The township faces some of the same troubles as the nation and state, but Stahl will also have to deal with the possibility of an eventual budget shortfall related to the Golden Triangle deal. Even if the retail and residential redevelopment project moves forward, the township could face a $4 million budget gap starting in 2011 if the anticipated tax ratables are not in operation at that time at the Route 18 site.

As his first year as mayor nears, Stahl said he needs to get a “realistic picture” of the state of the municipal budget.

“It really dictates where you can go in the township,” he said. “We know we have financial issues to address, and the number one item on my agenda is finances.”

Stahl said he wants to see if the township can achieve more efficiency and productivity.

One thing he plans to do is introduce an ordinance to eliminate the position of mayor’s assistant, a move that is expected to save $110,000. He said he will evaluate other municipal positions that are of a discretionary nature, but he does not plan to make staff layoffs or cut union jobs.

Stahl said he knows that all residents are hurting from the state of the economy, whether it is from the loss of a job or losses in their 401(k) plans.

“Everyone is feeling the pinch,” he said.

In addition to the situation with Toll Brothers, township officials face the ongoing negotiations and eventual passage of a new union contract for municipal employees.

Council President Catherine Diem said there is no doubt the economy and financial matters are the biggest issues facing the township as it heads into 2009.

“I think, like everyone else, we will continue to take a look at all we are doing, for maximum returns to residents,” she said.

Diem would not speculate on her future as council president, but it is precedent in East Brunswick for someone to serve two consecutive years in the position. She did say she would like to continue to serve in the position.

The mayor and all five council members in East Brunswick are Democrats and will remain so now that Stahl won the Nov. 4 election along with council candidates Nancy Pinkin and Denise Contrino. Pinkin will serve her second four-year term, while Contrino will serve her first, replacing 12-year Councilman Donald Klemp.

Since Stahl will become mayor, the council will have to appoint someone to fill his vacancy on the council. Stahl last week said he could not speculate on who will be chosen to take his seat.

Diem said she and Stahl are both advocates for creating a budget and finance committee or a panel to evaluate the municipal budget year round. While she said she does not know what the makeup of the committee would be, she said she looks forward to getting involved with it. Stahl said during the campaign he wants the committee to include the mayor, as well as council members and residents.

Diem said she has grown comfortable with the role of council president. She also said she sees no reason to make any major changes to council meetings, which are now all combined meetings instead of separate agenda and action meetings.

Stahl has said he plans to eliminate outside professionals from pension eligibility and restructure township debt, look at more shared services with other towns, and seek additional grants.