TRENTON: Jury selection set for Monday in Zampani murder trial

By Matt Chiappardi, Staff Writer
   TRENTON — Jury selection in the Donald Zampini murder trial is set to begin Monday, according to a spokeswoman from the Mercer County Prosecutor’s Office.
   Mr. Zampini, 70, of Wyndmoor Drive in East Windsor, is charged with the 2006 stabbing death of 63-year-old Barbara Morris, with whom he lived, with a household knife.
   He has pleaded not guilty to murder, possession of a weapon for unlawful purposes and unlawful possession of a weapon.
   The case will be heard by state Superior Court Judge Charles Delehey at the Mercer County Criminal Courthouse on South Broad Street, according to spokeswoman Casey DeBlasio.
   East Windsor police said they responded to a 9-1-1 call at 12:57 a.m. Sept. 1, 2006 from a person they did not identify who said Ms. Morris had been murdered and that Mr. Zampini was attempting to commit suicide. When they arrived at the house, police said they found Mr. Zampini along with Ms. Morris’ body in the living room.
   Mr. Zampini had cuts and bruises on his hand and appeared to be losing consciousness due to the ingestion of over-the-counter sleep aids, police said.
   He remained this week at the Mercer County Correction Center in Hopewell in lieu of $500,000 bail.