By Jessica Ercolino, Staff Writer
MILLSTONE An NBA player now faces a contempt of a court charge after failing to appear in Municipal Court here last week on motor vehicle summonses stemming from a fatal accident in June 2007, court officials there confirmed.
Denver Nuggets guard J.R. Smith, 23, was expected appear in court Jan. 13, but his attorney, Greg Mordas, took responsibility for his absence. Mr. Mordas reportedly said he did not think it was necessary for his client to attend the pre-trial conference, but Judge Debra Gelson said only the court can excuse a defendant.
Instead, Mr. Smith born Earl J. Smith played with the Nuggets that night in a home win versus the Dallas Mavericks. He went 1-for-14, scoring only two points.
Mr. Smith is expected to appear in court for a follow-up conference Feb. 17.
In October, a Monmouth County grand jury declined to indict the basketball player for his involvement in a traffic accident that killed his friend, according to First Assistant Prosecutor Peter Warshaw Jr.
In addition to the contempt-of-court charge, Mr. Smith faces five traffic violations: improper passing, failure to stop, speeding, reckless driving and failure to wear a seat belt.
Police said Mr. Smith was driving a sport utility vehicle on Stagecoach Road when he pulled around a car stopped at a stop sign and hit an oncoming car in the opposite lane. Both Mr. Smith and Andre Bell, 21, of East Orange were ejected from the vehicle, but only Mr. Bell was seriously injured and he died two days later.
Mr. Smith was the 18th overall pick in the 2004 NBA draft. He has played with the Nuggets since July 2006.

