TRENTON: Mercer County mulls pay and hiring freeze

By Greg Forester, Staff Writer
   Mercer County is considering pay and hiring freezes, voluntary furloughs and other measures in light of an expected $43 million budget shortfall that will hit the county government over the next two years, County Executive Brian Hughes said this week.
   Also announced by the county government is a weeks-long delay of Mr. Hughes’ annual budget address, which will be given on March 12 instead of its traditional February date as the county searches for solutions to deal with escalating pension, healthcare and prescription plan costs.
   ”The county must reduce spending, even after tapping a significant portion of the county surplus fund,” said Mr. Hughes. “As is the case nationwide, our ratable growth has decreased and our expenditures have increased.”
   Salary and benefits for the county’s 1,900 employees take up around 70 percent of the county budget, according to officials, who said last year’s budget was $278 million.
   Tax revenue and county fees account for 80 percent of all revenues taken in by Mercer County.
   Both revenue streams have decreased as the economy has soured, county officials said.
   Other measures being looked at include leaving vacant positions empty and seeking additional concessions from worker unions.
   County administration officials have already conducted meetings with some labor representatives, and expect to review non-essential offices and services with an eye to eliminating those that have become too costly.
   Despite the news, county officials said they remain focused on the county’s responsibility for judicial and corrections services, and plan to continue to pursue the construction of the new $80 million Mercer County Courthouse.