NORTHERN BURLINGTON: Candidates file in school board races

By Geoffrey Wertime, Staff Writer
   A late-winter snowstorm earlier this week delayed the deadline for those wishing to file as school board candidates throughout the state.
   Snow on Monday closed schools throughout the area, and though many local districts did have staff present to accept any last-minute applications before the 4 p.m. deadline, a statewide order has given those who missed out a reprieve.
   The executive order, signed Tuesday by Gov. Jon Corzine, extended the deadline to 4 p.m. Wednesday. The order cites the fact that some potential candidates were reportedly unable to file due to school closings, though no local districts reported any such occurrences.
   In the Bordentown Regional School District, Business Administrator Peggy Ianoale said she was in the office Monday and did receive a petition. Bordentown Regional is a K-12 district including Bordentown City, Bordentown Township and Fieldsboro.
   Three board seats are open to residents of Bordentown City, two of them full three-year terms and one a two-year unexpired term. Incumbents Ellen Wehrman and Joann Dansbury filed for the three-year seats, while Michael MacEwan has filed to run for the unexpired term. Mr. MacEwan was appointed to the seat Feb. 28, Ms. Ianoale said.
   In Bordentown Township, one three-year seat will be up for grabs after current board member John Gabauer vacates it. Newcomers Amrita Desai, Valerie Ann Calcagni and David Valeri have filed to run for the position, as has Thomas Dalton, who filed before the 4 p.m. deadline Wednesday.
   In the Chesterfield School District, a K-6 district with one elementary school, only one person, newcomer Terran Brown, filed to run for the available three-year term on the Chesterfield Board of Education.
   Eight people filed to run for three available three-year seats on the Florence Township school board. The incumbents are Kirk R. LeBlanc and Jean M. Shelen, and the newcomers are David Carriger, Bob Dulo, Anthony Nutter, Robert R. Reillo Sr., Marcie Romano and Christine Sweeney Skinner. Florence is a K-12 district.
   There is also competition in Mansfield, a K-6 elementary school district, where four candidates filed for three open three-year seats. Incumbent Matthew Varava will face newcomers Beverly Pencak, Marcial Mojena, and DeQuincy McRae.
   Business Administrator Lisa Giovanelli said the office was open Monday, but no one tried to file that day.
   The Northern Burlington County Regional School District also will see some competition in its races. The district is for grades 7-12 (a middle school and a high school) and includes Chesterfield, Mansfield, North Hanover and Springfield.
   Two people, incumbent and current board President James Foley and newcomer Barclay M. Townsend, have filed to run for the one available North Hanover seat. Chesterfield incumbent William R. Puglia will face newcomer F. Gerry Spence. Incumbent James Nucito will run unopposed for a full term as a Mansfield representative on the board.
   NBC Business Administrator Richard Kaz said the district office was open from 2 to 4 p.m. Monday, and actually saw two candidates file simultaneously that day.
   Two candidates will run unopposed in New Hanover, which has a K-8 school district. Incumbent Jamie Clugsten and newcomer Carli Haas will seek three-year seats on the board.
   In North Hanover, a K-6 elementary school district, incumbent Charles Schroeder was the only one to file for the single available three-year seat.
   Springfield, a K-6 elementary school district, saw four candidates file to run for its three open three-year seats. Incumbents Marie Goodwin, John Ainsworth and Margaret Payne filed along with newcomer Dennis Schmieder.
   Voting will take place April 21.