SOUTH BRUNSWICK: Solid showing for rest of Vikes

By Rich Fisher, Sports Editor
   FLEMINGTON — Although Brendan Vercammen was the lone South Brunswick High wrestler to make it through the regions, head coach Joe Dougherty was pleased with how the majority of the Vikings’ qualifiers handled themselves at Hunterdon Central last week.
   After a District 20 tournament at which Dougherty felt his team was not hungry enough — four of five finalists lost in the title bout — the Vikings rebounded on the first night of Region 5. James Pagano, Tyler Jaramillo, Kevin Wadiak, Colin Preacher and Cody Shelcusky all won last Tuesday night to advance to last weekend’s action.
   None won on Friday or Saturday, but the fact they made it was encouraging.
   ”There was definitely a level of satisfaction,” Dougherty said. “For us to bring six kids to a region tournament on a Saturday was quite an accomplishment. I was real pleased with that.
   ”It was their first experience here. The way the seeding works, you get criteria from being here previous years. So, all our kids got seventh or eighth seeds. We’re wrestling the best kid or second best kid in the weight classes. But the fact they all won that first round is a true testament. They did a really good job.”
   Once the Vikings arrived into the seeded rounds, the expectations were just for them to wrestle hard.
   ”They got as much out of what they had as they probably could have,” Dougherty said. “I couldn’t expect much more. Just them getting here was a milestone.
   ”We ended up being ranked in the top four in terms of number of kids brought here on Friday. So, it’s coming.”