By Audrey Levine, Staff Writer
The township is dealing with another proposed $271,000 cut in consolidated municipal property tax relief for 2009 on top of a $569,000 cut in 2008 as it works to evaluate what can be done to reduce spending before the 2009 budget is introduced in early April.
”The cut in aid means something else has to go,” Mayor Frank DelCore said. “It is a reduction in revenue.”
Gov. Jon Corzine announced his proposed $29.8 billion 2009 state budget March 10, which included cuts in state aid to municipalities.
In municipal property tax relief, the township is in line to receive $449,077, a reduction of $270,847 from the $719,924 allocated in 2008.
”The good news is, I don’t think we were shocked about this,” Mayor DelCore said. “We had already been planning around the fact (that we would lose funds), and we are evaluating alternatives.”
According to Mayor DelCore, these cuts represent a total of $842,000 in municipal aid to the township eliminated since 2007.
”But even though the $569,000 cut was made last year, we don’t get that back,” he said. “A 2 percent reduction in municipal aid had originally been discussed (for this year). We are way above that.”
If the state budget is approved, the township also will receive $3,639,028 in Energy Tax Receipts distribution, an increase of $166,024 from the 2008 allocation of $3,473,004.
The Energy Tax Receipts program is not a municipal aid program, but is generated by sales and taxes on energy or utility service, among other services. The funds are collected in a special dedicated fund by the state, then distributed to municipalities.
In total, the township is looking to receive $4,111,210 in state aid. This is a $107,041 decrease from the 2008 allocation of $4,218,251.
”I am not sure where we have to scale back more,” Mayor DelCore said. “We have already gone through the process of a lean budget (in the past).”
As far as what cuts the township is looking to make, Mayor DelCore said plans have not been finalized, but will be announced with the introduction of the budget probably in early April. Among other options, he said, the township is not looking to implement a furlough program or eliminate employees.
Instead, Mayor DelCore said, the township is continuing its practice of not filling open positions if possible.
”The number of employees is something that always drives us,” he said.
Aside from this, Mayor DelCore declined to comment on any pending reductions, but said the township is doing what it can for the residents.
”We are trying to work through our options,” he said. “While we were hopeful the state would not cut aid further, I don’t think there are any surprises, and now we are trying to finalize the budget.”

