DOT outlines upgrades for Colts Neck hot spot

Intersection of Route 34 and Route 537 due for improvements

BY REBECCA MORTON Staff Writer

COLTS NECK — Opinions varied on the estimated $17.2 million improvement plan for the intersection of Route 34 and Route 537 during a recent public presentation of the plan.

On March 19, representatives of the state Department of Transportation (DOT) held a public information center which gave residents and other interested individuals a chance to examine the plans and ask questions.

At the present time, the intersection of Route 34 (a state highway) and Route 537 (a county road) is impacted by severe congestion at all four of its approaches during peak hours. State representatives reported that many motorists try using local roads in order to avoid the intersection at those times.

According to a fact sheet distributed by the DOT, the level of service at the intersection in the evening peak hours was timed at an 87-second delay in 2007, placing the intersection’s level of service at an F (on a scale in which A is the best level of service and F is the worst level of service).

Estimates show that with no improvements made at the intersection, the 2012 level of service is expected to increase to a 232-second delay during the evening peak hours. The estimates show the level of service at the intersection will improve to a C with a 30-second delay in the evening with the improvements in 2012.

According to the improvement plan, Route 34 would be widened to six lanes at each approach to the intersection and Route 537 would be widened to five lanes at each approach to the intersection. Dedicated left and right turn lanes would be provided on certain approaches.

Bridges over the Mine Brook stream which have been deemed to be structurally deficient would be replaced. A property which is used by an Exxon gas station at the intersection would be acquired to make room for the road improvements, according to the plans.

The plan also calls for the construction of two detention basins for water quality and treatment within the project limits. The project also is expected to provide curbs, bicycle-compatible lanes, drainage system improvements and upgrades to highway lighting.

The project is expected to begin in 2012. Residents who were on hand for the DOT presentation on the afternoon of March 19 expressed a variety of opinions about the plans laid out before them. One group of residents asked why, if Route 34 was being improved, a left turn lane into nearby Delicious Orchards was not included in the plans. The residents said it would be better to include the turning lane while construction was occurring rather then waiting until after it had been completed.

Christopher McDonald, the vice president of Delicious Orchards, said the store’s executives have asked for such a turning lane from Route 34 in the past.

“We think the left turn lane is necessary, but our biggest concern is the construction phase,” he said.

McDonald raised concerns about the impact the construction project would have on the store’s business. He told the DOT representatives that during the peak autumn months Delicious Orchards can see upwards of 5,000 customers a day.

He said the business operator’s main concern was that roads would be closed and said that would have a negative impact for the area’s business owners.

Monmouth County Engineer Joseph M. Ettore explained that during construction the roads are expected to remain open, carrying the existing width of the road to accommodate traffic while construction occurs. He said the roads that are the subject of the improvements (Route 34 and Route 537) are not expected to ever be completely closed.

McDonald said the improvements are needed.

“This is 20 years in the making. We are looking forward to the improvements,” he said.

The DOT representatives on hand told the residents they would look into the possibility of installing a left turn lane into Delicious Orchards before finalizing the plans.

Arthur Becker, the owner of Becker’s Hardware, Route 34, said his main concern with the plan as presented is that it only takes care of one portion of a larger issue. Becker said he does not believe the plan addressed the safety issues that plague Route 34 in the area.

According to the DOT fact sheet, the vehicular crash rate along Route 34 in the area exceeds the statewide average.

Becker said he believes the plan as outlined will cause more accidents as a result of merging problems when a large number of lanes merge to fewer lanes.

Becker, who’s hardware store has been on Route 34 for 37 years, said he would like to see the stretch of Route 34 between Phalanx Road and Route 18 addressed at the same time.

“I’d rather suffer once to do all the necessary improvements at one time,” he said.B

ecker said he believes some of the money coming out of Washington, D.C., should make its way to Colts Neck to help improve the bad situation.

Contact Rebecca Morton at [email protected].