by Vic Monaco, Managing Editor
PLUMSTED — The township Police Department, which is under a cloud of controversy and recently lost its chief law enforcement officer, could get two new officers if the township is successful in its attempt to get funding under the federal stimulus program.
Mayor Ron Dancer announced this week that the township is seeking $458,130 in federal grant money to cover the cost of two new officers over a three-year period. The Community Oriented Policing Services Hiring Recovery Program requires that municipalities keep such new officers for at least four years and pay for them in the fourth year and beyond.
”This is a very limited opportunity,” the mayor said in an interview. “We see this in Plumsted as a win-win for the taxpayer and the public safety of the municipality.”
Lt. George Titko, the department’s chief law enforcement officer, was suspended in January amid a sexual harassment suit and workers compensation complaint filed by Suzanne DesMarais, a former Plumsted officer who was not reappointed after her one-year term expired Dec. 31, 2008. She was the first and only female to have worked on the force.
At the time of the suspension, the Ocean County prosecutor’s office began what it called a “routine administrative review” of the force, which has apparently yet to conclude. Mayor Dancer said last week that he expected a report from the prosecutor’s office very soon and that it had not come by Tuesday.
He said the grant application has nothing to do with Lt. Titko’s situation. But he did acknowledge that the force was down to 10 officers, with Lt. Titko’s suspension and the medical leave of another officer.
”This would put us at 14,” he said of the potential new hires. “Twelve is the greatest number we’ve ever had but we look at this as a window of opportunity.”
He also said the hirings could reduce police overtime costs.

