By Lea Kahn, Staff Writer
Township officials are moving ahead to hire additional emergency medical technicians and to take over the former Lawrence Township First Aid Squad building on Pilla Avenue to house them.
Township Council set aside some time at the beginning of its April 22 meeting for public comment on the proposal for the township to provide around-the-clock emergency medical coverage, but no one turned out to speak.
“I guess it didn’t turn out to be an issue, after all,” Mayor Pam Mount said.
Since the Lawrence Township First Aid Squad found it could not field enough volunteer EMTs to provide coverage, emergency medical coverage has been divided between the township’s four paid EMTs and Capital Health Systems’ EMTs.
Township Council approved a contract two years ago that calls for CHS to provide coverage from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. weekdays, and around the clock on weekends. The township’s four paid EMTs provide coverage from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays.
CHS’ contract expires May 31, and township officials had debated whether to renew it. But after studying a report prepared by Municipal Manager Richard Krawczun and Chief of Police Daniel Posluszny, Township Council began to consider handling the task on its own.
In that report, Township Council learned that it cost $696,623 to provide emergency medical care under the current set-up — including the $225,000 contract fee with CHS. Revenue from the fees generated $396,606. This means it cost township taxpayers $300,017 to provide the service.
But by opting to provide emergency medical service around the clock, it would cost township taxpayers $91,824 to operate the service after collecting estimated fees of $793,212, according to the report.
The township would have to double the staff — from four EMTs to eight EMTs, plus a supervisor — to provide around-the-clock coverage seven days a week. But there would be a savings of $208,192, the report said.
At last week’s Township Council meeting, Councilman Greg Puliti said he thought that “moving in that direction” for the township to provide its own EMTs “is a benefit to the town.”
Municipal Manager Richard Krawczun said he wanted to make it clear that township officials had never had a problem with CHS and that “it’s no reflection on them. It’s a business decision for Lawrence Township.”
Councilmen Rick Miller and Michael Powers said they wanted to be certain that the township would at least “break even” financially by providing emergency medical services, and possibly make it profitable. But more importantly, they said, having its own EMTs means the township can provide continuity.
“Any money that comes out (as a profit) is a bonus, but public safety is the ultimate goal. It’s the continuity of service (that is important),” Mr. Powers said.
Mr. Krawczun said the township’s EMTs would provide basic medical care, but if the health issue requires a higher level of emergency medical care, CHS’ paramedics would continue to respond, as they do now.
The move to hire additional EMTs also means the township would have to find a location to base them and the four ambulances they would use. The four EMTs now operate from an office at the Lawrence Township Police Department, but more space would be needed.
Councilman Bob Bostock, along with Mr. Miller, approached Lawrence Township First Aid Squad trustees Dean Acquaviva, Ken Kandrac and Marie Tagliaferri to ask whether the squad would consider transferring ownership of the building to the township.
The three trustees agreed to turn over the building — located on Pilla Avenue, at the rear of the Lawrence Road Fire Co. — to Lawrence Township, Mr. Bostock and Mr. Miller said.
Mr. Krawczun said this week that it would be necessary to tour the building to find out what would need to be done to make it ready for the EMTs. Some renovations may be needed, but that would not be determined until after the visit to the building, he said.

