Former Bordentown City police chief faces sentencing Dec. 3
By Amber Cox, Staff Writer
MOUNT HOLLY Former Bordentown City Police Chief, Philip Castagna, was found guilty of conspiracy to commit murder and contempt of a judicial order on Oct. 21.
Judge Jeanne Covert revoked Mr. Castagna’s bail after the jury announced its verdict and he was taken into custody. Mr. Castagna faces 10 to 20 years at his sentencing hearing on Dec. 3.
Burlington County Prosecutor Robert Bernardi released a written statement in response to the guilty verdict, praising Assistant Prosecutor Michael Luciano and the entire prosecution team.
”I am also appreciative of the jury’s thoughtful analysis and deliberation in reaching this verdict,” he stated Thursday.
He also stated that the verdict “upholds a longstanding principle of jurisprudence in this country; that no person is above the law.”
”Former Chief Castagna has disgraced himself and the oath he swore to uphold,” he said. “Now he will face the penalty for his criminal conduct. For Mr. Castagna, the saga ends with humiliation and the awful reality of serving time in a New Jersey State Prison. He will no longer ‘protect and serve,’ rather he will ‘serve’ his time.”
Bordentown City Mayor James Lynch said that it is a sad day for Bordentown and the Castagna family and prayers go out to them.
”We did not particularly wish this on anyone,” Mayor Lynch said. “We hope the family and residents will be able to recover.”
Mayor Lynch also commended Mr. Bernardi and Mr. Luciano for all of their efforts during the trial.
”The city of Bordentown’s government is appreciative of all they’ve done,” he said. “They stuck with this for a long time and did all they could do.”
Mr. Castagna was retried for conspiracy to commit murder of his former wife Joyce Leopold and contempt of a judicial order. The trial began in early October and ended Thursday with a guilty verdict.
At his first trial in 2009, Mr. Castagna was acquitted of aggravated arson and a count of contempt but jurors were unable to reach a verdict on the conspiracy to commit murder charge and a mistrial was granted.
The prosecution’s star witness, Gary Hall, said that Mr. Castagna solicited him to kill Ms. Leopold and contacted police about the plot.
Mr. Hall began recording conversations shortly after informing police of the threat from Mr. Castagna. The police gave Mr. Hall recording equipment so he was able to record conversations even if no officer was present. The detectives did want to be present during the recorded conversations but said it was at Mr. Hall’s discretion because of the friendship between himself and Mr. Castagna.
However, throughout the taped conversations Mr. Castagna never stated that he wanted his former wife dead.
The case against Mr. Castagna had been ongoing since 2004. He was suspended without pay in 2003 following charges of violating a restraining order and threatening Ms. Leopold with a gun. Mr. Castagna has maintained his innocence since the beginning of the investigation.

