Burlington County officials sworn in

   Bruce D. Garganio began his second year Saturday as a Burlington County freeholder and as freeholder director for the second year as well, delivering a State of the County Address that underscored the board’s success in cutting taxes and spending over the past three years, and vowing to retain the same “budget and tax reduction objectives” in 2011.
   Mr. Garganio, a union foreman carpenter by trade, pledged to pursue economic growth and job opportunities in a recovery, which, he said, will be “long and gradual. “
   He said efforts would be stepped up to make Burlington County residents aware of all job search and other services available to them. He also called on the three county-supported schools – the college, Special Services, and Institute of Technology – and all outside boards and agencies connected to the county, to aggressively pursue cost-saving shared services opportunities, asking them to “please do some out-of-the-box thinking.”
   The ceremony, held in the county Administration Building instead of the historic county courthouse, which is facing repair work, was also marked by the swearing in of Joseph B. Donnelly of Cinnaminson to his second three-year term on the five-member board.
   Mr. Donnelly served as director in 2009 and deputy director in 2010.
   Freeholders voted to place Chris Brown in the deputy position for the upcoming year. Mr. Brown, a business owner from Evesham, is serving his third year on the board.
   In addition, Sheriff Jean E. Stanfield, of Westampton, was sworn to her fourth three-year term, with Superior Court Judge Philip E. Haines handling the swearing-in responsibilities for her, as well as all those who took the oath of office Saturday. Judge Haines himself is a former freeholder, and former state senator.
   The other members of the freeholder board include Mary Anne Reinhart, of Shamong, who begins serving the third of her three-year term, and Mary Ann O’Brien, of Medford, who moves into her second year as a board member. All five freeholders formerly held local office in their towns.
   Mr. Garganio, in his annual address, cited specific spending and tax reductions, nothing that the county budget had been reduced $5.3 million over the last three years, that the tax levy had been reduced $2 million, and the tax rate reduced in each year.
   ”The folks who follow public opinion, and polling data, tell me that this is all well and good, except for one problem – a lot of people simply don’t believe it,” he said. “After years of hearing the phrases ‘cut spending’ and ‘cut taxes,’ the folks who foot the bill, our constituents and taxpayers, have been inoculated against the reality.
   ”I know of only one cure,” Mr. Garganio continued. “We simply have to keep doing it. And we will.”
   Shared services was also a major theme in his address, noting that the county had provided the municipalities with enhanced recycling, which saves landfill tipping fees, with a grant-funded program to improve their own records storage and recordkeeping, and, in cooperation with the Burlington County Bridge Commission, provided every town the opportunity to secure tax-saving green energy grants.
   ”And we have awarded the first round of $5 million in grants for local recreation needs, filling a need that most towns have had to leave behind in these very difficult fiscal times,” Mr. Garganio added. He said that the second round of grants, which is funded with dedicated open space funds, is coming. He also said every effort needed to be made to ensure that residents were fully aware of the services that are available to them, “especially in times like this when they are needed most.”
   ”As I have stated many times, my first obligation is to the taxpayer, especially those who are unemployed and/or struggling with the rising costs of daily living. They are the real boss. And it is their money.”
   As director, Mr. Garganio has the responsibility of assigning freeholders as directors of individual departments. He again named himself as director of Administration and Natural Resources.
   Deputy Director Brown was appointed director of Public Safety and Education; Freeholder Donnelly was appointed director of Public Works and Veterans Services; Freeholder Reinhart will take responsibility for Hospital and Medical Services, and Election functions; and Freeholder O’Brien will oversee Health & Human Services, and Consumer Affairs.
   While holding the tradition New Year’s Day meeting in the Administration Building is a departure from tradition, it is not a first. In 1993 it was also moved from the historic courthouse, which was also the result of ongoing repair work in the historic facility.