By: centraljersey.com
MILLSTONE – The Board of Education said it will begin interviewing possible superintendent candidates tonight (Thursday) in closed executive session, but cautioned that residents shouldn’t interpret that to mean a shared services agreement with Upper Freehold for a chief school administrator is off the table.
"Right now, we’re proceeding along parallel tracks," Board of Education President Kevin McGovern said in response to several questions from the public at Monday’s school board meeting. The board’s scheduled interviews with full-time superintendent candidates on Jan. 27, Feb. 1 and Feb. 3 "should not be read as an abandonment of the shared services model," Mr. McGovern emphasized.
Millstone’s last superintendent, Mary Anne Donahue, retired last year. John Szabo, the former schools chief in Robbinsville, is serving as the interim superintendent while the search for a permanent full-time replacement is under way. The New Jersey School Boards Association was hired to assist with that search.
Meanwhile, Millstone and the Upper Freehold Regional School District also continue to discuss the possibility of sharing a superintendent. Millstone students in grades 9-12 attend Allentown High School in UFRSD and a shared services arrangement could not only save both districts money, but also provide greater continuity in curriculum and other areas for Millstone students, proponents of the plan say.
Richard Fitzpatrick, the UFRSD superintendent of schools, provided Millstone with a shared services proposal two weeks ago, but the specifics have not been disclosed to the public as yet.
"The model that was presented was quite broad," Mr. McGovern said. "It contemplated shared services not only at the superintendent level, but all across an array of services including curriculum, special services, buildings and grounds, and athletics. There was a wide array of suggestions for this board to consider."
Robbins Road South resident Ramon Recalde told the board he thought it might be making the situation more complicated by continuing the search for a full-time superintendent while also holding discussions with UFRSD, where Dr. Fitzpatrick’s contract runs through June.
"I think that if Dr. Fitzpatrick is renewed for a new contract over there, that’s our best option for the residents, the taxpayers and the students," Mr. Recalde said.
Referring to the school board’ scheduled interviews with full-time superintendent candidates, Mr. Recalde asked: "What happens if next week a superstar shows up? What are you going to do? That person will also be interviewing other places too. That’s the problem, I think, with parallel tracks."
Mr. McGovern said the board wanted to keep all its options open.
"I don’t disagree that this may well put the board in a tough position in terms of making decisions," Mr. McGovern told Mr. Recalde. "However, I would prefer to make a decision from a menu of good options, rather from more limited options."

