By Doug Carman, Staff Writer
EAST WINDSOR — National Night Out will be back this year.
The Township Council decided Tuesday evening to host its annual block party featuring the local law enforcement and emergency responders Aug. 2 at East Windsor’s PAL Field on Airport Road.
The announcement was made as the council reflected on its cancellation last year due to what Mayor Janice Mironov called “budgetary and staffing discussions” that strained the town.
”Although I absolutely agree with the suspension of it last year, it was truly, truly missed,” Deputy Mayor Marc Lippman said during the meeting. “I was stopped so often last year (and) asked where it was.”
”I attended it in 2009 with my children and I thought they got so much out of it,” Council member Pete Yeager stated. “I thought it was well worthwhile. I understand why we had to cancel it last year but if we can do it this year, I think it would be good.”
The township already has a steering committee in place to organize the event, which is expected to include DJs and other entertainment. Mayor Mironov said National Night Out booths would include a chance for children to get IDs, as well as feature police and K-9 demonstrations.
There will also be plenty of food at the event.National Night Out, as its name suggests, is an evening where neighborhoods across the country throw block parties and gatherings “to promote neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships in our fight for a safer nation,” according to the National Night Out 2011’s official Web page.
It’s typically held the first Tuesday of August, except in Texas where they opt to host it in October. Though many other towns opt to do multiple neighborhood block parties that draw dozens to hundreds of people each, East Windsor traditionally threw one large party covering the entire town that typically drew more than 1,000 party-goers.
”We made a decision to do it as a big community event … that’s fully become our mark,” Mayor Mironov said.

