ROBBINSVILLE: Ravens, Warriors are moving forward

Boys hopes gaining experience

By Bob Nuse, The Packet Group
   Both the Robbinsville High and New Egypt boys basketball teams had special seasons a year ago.
   The Ravens won their first holiday tournament title, while setting a school record for wins and reaching the state tournament.
   The Warriors capped off the outstanding career of Desmond Hubert by reaching the Central Jersey Group I finals.
   This year both teams have a different look, with varying results.
   Robbinsville turned over its roster with just one returning starter and has played the first part of the season looking to gain some experience. The Ravens entered Tuesday’s game against Hamilton with a 1-6 record, but feel like better days are ahead.
   ”I’ve said from the beginning of the year that we’ll be a much better team in the second half of the season,” Robbinsville coach Byron Conover said. “We’ve been close in a lot of games but have not been able to get over the proverbial hump. We were down four against Ewing the other night and playing well, then they took it to us and pulled away.
   ”We’re playing better but we have not been able to put four full quarters together.”
   The Ravens picked up their first win when they got past Steinert, 59-52, in a game last week. Mason Cueto had 20 points and Mark Carnevale added 19 in the win.
   ”We only have one starter back and everyone else either played JV or freshman last year,” Conover said. “It’s a learning process for a lot of the guys. I told them to be patient and we’ll be a better team in the second half of the season. Anthony Massi is a sophomore playing point guard for us. He played freshman ball last year. The more he plays, everything is slowing down for him.
   ”These kids have practiced well and they are learning every day. Each day we take an area of the game and we work in getting better.”
   The Ravens opened up against some tough teams with Trenton and West Windsor-Plainsboro South on the early schedule.
   ”The schedule is a little better for us in the second half of the season, Conover said. “We have a brand new team and we’re playing teams with experience. I told them we just have to stick together and not always worry about wins and losses. It’s about how you are playing.”
   New Egypt did a lot of winning last year and is off to a 5-4 start this year with players stepping into new roles.
   ”This program is good enough now where we have juniors who might start on other teams who don’t start here,” New Egypt coach Jay Corby said. “So when we did lose those guys from last year, a lot was gone but we knew we had guys waiting who could step in and do a good job. It is motivation for us and the kids.”
   The Warriors lost a talented senior group from a year ago, but enough good players are back to keep the program winning. In a 57-44 win over Palmyra on Saturday, Tyler Barnes led the way with 21 points and Bill Raab added 14.
   ”Tyler Barnes played sold minutes as sixth man last year,” Corby said. “He played starter minutes and had a good year for us last year. He’s our new big man. He had 25 points and seven rebounds against Delran earlier this year and is off to good.
   It’s a little different and we are still trying to figure out our team. We had an injury to Jamel (Smith) from football and it will take some time to put it together. We lost six seniors, so we’ll be a much better team in late January than we are now.”
   Raab is the point guard, Smith is the Warriors’ top defender, and players like Mike DeAnni, Connor Lindsey, Reid Anderson. Sheldon Stephens, and John Fassl have moved into bigger roles on the team.
   ”Everyone has a role to play,” Corby said. “We’re ironing all that out and I think as everyone gets comfortable in their role, we’ll be a better team.”