By Jen Samuel, Managing Editor
HIGHTSTOWN —Within a few months, the borough’s transportation vortex, the Route 33 bridge, will be partially shut down for long anticipated repairs resulting from damages suffered during Hurricane Irene.
When Hurricane Irene hit the borough last year, Peddie Lake was capsized by floodwaters, which poured into South Main and North Main streets, Bank Street, and a small portion of Stockton Street.
The Route 33 bridge was completely underwater the morning of Aug. 29, until slowly, the floodwaters receded by late Sunday afternoon.
In the immediate aftermath of the storm, the New Jersey Department of Transportation shut down the Route 33 bridge for emergency repairs.
However, the NJDOT plans to begin work on extensive repairs this spring.
"The contract is expected to be advertised in April and we will be accepting bids until mid-May. We anticipate starting construction in early June, with the project lasting three to four months,” said Press Officer Tim Greeley of the NJDOT Office of Communications.
The Route 33 bridge is the point in town at which North Main, and South Main streets and Franklin Street — State Route 33 — converge.
In short, it is a heavily trafficked intersection for New Jerseyans.
The Peddie Lake Bridge runs parallel to the Peddie Lake Dam across the Rocky Brook. It is just shy of Franklin Street.
People driving southbound on North Main Street turn right, eastbound onto Franklin Street – also known as State Route 33 — en route to Twin Rivers, the New Jersey Turnpike onramp, or Freehold.
"(The) Route 33 Peddie Lake Bridge emergency repair project in Hightstown is necessary as the bridge parapets and sidewalks were damaged by Hurricane Irene,” Mr. Greeley said. “The repair work involves bridge parapet and sidewalk reconstruction along with minor drainage, milling and resurfacing of roadway approaches.”
During the project, the NJDOT will maintain one travel lane on Route 33 in each direction during construction.
The work will require single lane closures during off-peak hours, according to Mr. Greeley.
"However, it will be necessary to restrict truck traffic from the work zone because of construction site limitations,” he said.
Bill Birch, who is the NJDOT’s project manager of the upcoming bridge repairs, discussed the matter with the municipal leaders at the Feb. 21 Hightstown Borough Council meeting.
The DOT plan, as presented on Tuesday night, would prohibit trucks from turning right from North Main Street eastbound onto Route 33, locally referred to as Franklin Street.
Trucks would also be prohibited from turning left onto North Main Street from westbound Route 33.
Project Manager Birch said, “We’re taking trucks out of the work zone.”
However, under that plan, trucks would still be allowed to travel on North Main and South Main streets through Hightstown’s Historic Downtown.
Trucks that need to turn right onto Route 33 from the bridge, or left from Route 33 onto South Main Street, however, would be prevented from doing so. Instead, those truck drivers would need to follow a Route 130 detour through East Windsor.
Borough Engineer Carmela Roberts expressed concern to Mr. Birch regarding the truck detour plan.
"I was expecting to see a detour around the whole borough not a semi-detour,” Ms. Roberts said of the proposed plan.
In December, Borough Engineer Roberts reported to the Hightstown Borough Council that all commuter truck traffic would be detoured around town as part of the DOT plan.
"I think it would be safer for everyone not to have truck traffic over that bridge when we only have two usable lanes there,” she said.
Furthermore, Ms. Roberts said, “I think if anyone finds out trucks can get through the borough they’ll be coming.”
Councilwoman Gail Doran recalled that the Borough Council, prior to her Jan. 2 appointment, passed a resolution in December prohibiting trucks during the DOT’s construction of the Route 33 bridge.
Mr. Birch showcased a map highlighting commuter truck options to the Borough Council on Tuesday. However, a requested copy of that map was not made available to the press by the Herald’s deadline on Thursday – as the map may yet be revised.
"The current detour plan does not prohibit trucks from entering the construction zone when traveling on North Main Street and South Main Street across the bridge,” Mr. Greeley said.
"Due to concerns voiced by the council there are ongoing discussions regarding that possible restriction so the detour map as displayed (Tuesday) night may need to be amended.”
Mr. Birch said the New Jersey State Police will sponsor the work zone, although he noted that in some instances the DOT does engage local municipality police departments.
Also, Mr. Birch told the Borough Council that workers would likely operate with an eight-to-10 hour workday.
As previously reported in the Herald, the DOT project will include new structural sidewalks as well as upgrades to the drainage piping and inlet.
"In order to replace the power pits, we have to replace the sidewalks,” Mr. Birch said.
Additionally, the DOT plans on replacing and repaving part of Franklin and Stockton streets.
Said Press Officer Greeley, “The reconstructed bridge parapet will resemble the existing parapet,” adding that the State Historic Preservation Office has been made aware of the proposed plan.

