By Amy Batista, Special Writer
JAMESBURG — Parents voiced concerns about how the district is responding to the issue of bullying in the schools during last week’s Board of Education meeting.
During the April 26 meeting, Superintendent of Schools Gail S. Verona gave the second mandated report on violence, vandalism and substance abuse and noted that these reports are done twice a year.
”At the previous board meeting in Oct. 27, 2011, I reported the first of the two reports,” said Ms. Verona.
Ms. Verona noted that she was presenting the new report with the updated data including the new required data from HIB (harassment, intimidation or bullying) from Sept. 1-Dec. 31, 2011.
”In total, there were 14 reported incidents of violence and vandalism, 11 of which were determined to be HIB,” Ms. Verona said.
She reported eight incidents at the John F. Kennedy Elementary School. Those incidents were all violent and seven were determined to be HIB incidents. There were no vandalism, weapons or substance abuse incidents during that time, according to Ms. Verona.
She said there were six total incidents at the Grace M. Breckwedel Middle School, five included violence, and four determined to be HIB.
She said there was one incident of vandalism and no incidents of weapons or substance abuse at that school during the period. Ms. Verona also provided a list of training dates of anti-bullying that various school personnel and administrators attended during the spring, summer, and fall of 2011.
New Jersey has been a leader in the establishment of a strong statutory, regulatory, policy and program framework to support the prevention, remediation and reporting of HIB in schools, according to the state.
During the public comment portion, Pam Duke voiced her concern about students being bullied while trying to take the New Jersey Assessment of Skills and Knowledge ( NJ ASK) test.
She said the students are made to sit in alphabetical order and the situation leaves her son sitting next to another student who has repeatedly bullied him during the past two years.
”How can that be comfortable to take a test,” Ms. Duke said. “I am very disappointed that in something as critical as the NJ ASK, the system failed my son.”
Ms. Duke also questioned the board and Ms. Verona about why the most recent incidents were not being investigated and noted numerous phone calls to the Ms. Verona and the district’s anti-bullying coordinator that have not been returned, and questions left unanswered.
Ms. Verona said, however, that she did have a meeting set up with Ms. Duke on May 9.
”I have a deep sympathy for anyone who has to succumb to whether it’s verbal or beaten up on the school bus,” Board member Ted Somers said. “This is something that we should address and take serious. I think collectively we can work together with policy, regulation. We can work it and make the environment better for our children.”
During the second public portion, more was mentioned about regarding the bullying incident in the school from Ms. Duke and a parent coming to her defense.
”If you truly are worried about the child, you should find out two very important things,” said Sandy Sussman of Jamesburg who also noted how much he was shaken by Ms. Duke’s comment about her son being bullied. “What we can do to help this (student) and what we can do to make sure this doesn’t happen again.”
”This was a mom that had to come up here to speak to you and as a parent that is painful,” Mr. Sussman said.
”I believe there was a misinformation that I don’t want to speak about publicly that involves your son,” Ms. Verona said responding to Ms. Duke. “I think there is some miscommunication regarding the incident. It is not correct what you are saying, but I do want to speak to you personally about this. If you want, you can speak to me prior to that (May 9) meeting. But I think what you are saying has been taken out of context and I can talk to you specifically.”
Ms. Verona encouraged Ms. Duke to call her and set up an earlier appointment.
”I don’t like to get involved in this because I don’t know the specifics, but Mrs. Duke has been out here repeatedly and her concerns need to be addressed in a much more urgent matter,” said Patrice Faraone, board member. “I don’t know what is going on but I don’t like the whole feeling of it.”
During Ms. Verona’s Superintendent’s updates, she mentioned that NJ ASK testing just completed at the middle school and the elementary school will start testing next week.
Board President Darren Larsen and member William Cicoria were not present at the meeting.
The next meeting will be held on May 31 at 7:30 p.m. at the John F. Kennedy Elementary School Gymnasium.

