By Charles W. Kim, Managing Editor
Martin Abschutz is likely coming back to the Board of Education to fill the vacant seat of Elizabeth Chang.
Board of Education members interviewed three finalists for the seat vacated by Ms. Chang April 16.
In a letter to the other applicants Wednesday, board President Dr. Stephen Parker said that Mr. Abschutz, a nine-year veteran of the panel, would be asked to fill out the un-expired term until a new board is seated in January.
Ms. Chang, 20, resigned her seat on the board to spend more time on her college studies. She was the youngest member in board history, elected while still a senior in high school in 2009.
The board took applications from six people and asked each of them to outline their qualifications and explain why they should be selected to fill the vacant seat.
That number was scaled down to three finalists last week.
The board discussed the applicants before reaching a consensus after interviewing the finalists Monday night.
In the letter, Dr. Parker said that Mr. Abschutz should be able to start working with the board immediately and would not have to be trained due to his past experience.
According to officials, Mr. Abschutz said that he does not plan on running for election to the seat in November.
The board moved the school elections to November earlier this year, extending three terms until that election is held.
The move also eliminated voting on the district’s $136 million budget as long as the plan was below the state-mandated two percent increase cap.
That plan was adopted last month.
Board Secretary Anthony Tonzini said the board will officially nominate Mr. Abschutz at the May 21 meeting and would then vote on the appointment. Mr. Abschutz would be sworn into the seat immediately following the vote.
Mr. Abschutz left the board in April, 2010, deciding not to seek another term.
Despite leaving the board, Mr. Abschutz was a member of a citizen’s advisory group on the budget earlier this year.

